The Jackson State University Accounting Society is a student-run organization that is open to all students in the College of Business. We seek to unite those who have similar interests in the accounting field, provide them with experiences that will expand their knowledge about the accounting profession, and enhance their ability to make sound decisions about their career path. We are committed to academic and professional excellence, civic responsibility, and enhancing the opportunities of those entering the accounting profession. The Accounting Society is well aware of the many issues facing students interested in the field of accounting and is working to institute programs that will address several of these issues.
- The Society will place emphasis on competency and will work with freshmen, sophomores and other interested students to gain greater insights into what it means to be an accountant. This will be accomplished, in part, by sending student delegates to National Association of Black Accountants’ conferences and by sponsoring Mixers that feature accounting professionals.
- The Society will assist junior and senior level students in obtaining opportunities to enter internships, co-ops, and full-time employment.
- The Society will promote professional development among all members by sponsoring resume clinics and workshops.
- The Society will encourage more minorities to enter the field of accounting by recruiting at area high schools.
- The Society will work diligently with the Department of Accounting in increasing the retention rate of accounting majors through tutoring and mentoring programs.
- The Society will strive to develop meaningful relationships with the community by rendering both, accounting and non-accounting services. One means of accomplishing these goals will come from working with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and other non-profit agencies.
Visit the Accounting Society website for more information.