Specific aims of the DoD Center of Excellence
The objectives of the DoD Center of Excellence in STEM Education at Jackson State University are to:
- Enhance existing STEM infrastructure at partner institutions.
- Provide support for K-12 and undergraduate STEM students.
- Develop and implement a student enrichment program.
- Enhance existing STEM academic programs.
- Recruit, train and mentor K-12 (high school) and undergraduate students in the specific multidisciplinary areas of relevance to DoD mission.
- Offer research mentoring and professional enrichment experiences to K-12 and undergraduate STEM students.
- Facilitate the transition of JPSD students to college, of HCC students to JSU, and of JSU undergraduate students to graduate schools.
Activities of the DoD Center of Excellence
Major activities of the DoD Center of Excellence include the following:
- Enhancement of student resources centers at JSU, HCC and JPSD.
- Active recruitment of K-12 and undergraduate students.
- Development and implementation of a student enrichment program.
- A Saturday academy program for K-12 students and teachers.
- An academic year program for undergraduate students.
- A summer research institute.
- A laboratory rotation program for students and teachers .
Our innovative strategy for multidisciplinary STEM training has several components including:
- Professional development for K-12 teachers.
- Science and mathematics skills enhancement for K-12 students.
- Projects development for Science and Engineering fairs.
- Distinguished speakers seminar/workshop series.
- Research training in multidisciplinary STEM areas that use concepts and methods from various scientific and engineering disciplines to address complex problems of interest to DoD.
- Yearly research and educational symposium.