Jackson State University’s Center for Distance Learning certifies faculty to teach online. The approval process requires that instructors successfully complete the following three foundational training courses (Catalog of Workshops):
Required Foundational Courses
- DL 501 – Introduction to Blackboard
- DL 502 – Designing and Creating Courses in Blackboard
- DL 503 – Best Practices for Teaching Online
- DL 504 – Blackboard Refresher
Training is usually blended, where faculty are in a traditional classroom but receiving online instruction. This training method allows the trainer to provide hands-on assistance and the instructor to practice using the online system.
Faculty knowledge and skills are assessed during the training or immediately following. Faculty member are certified as “proficient” or “not proficient” after the training is completed.
Continuing Education in Distance Learning
Faculty teaching online courses will have knowledge and skills of contemporary technologies and pedagogical techniques by participating in individual and group professional development activities.
After successfully completing the foundational trainings, faculty are encouraged to enhance their proficiency in the use of Blackboard tools, in order to enhance instruction and content delivery. The following courses are provided to enhance online teaching proficiency:
Blackboard Tools for Experienced Users
- DL 601 – Universal Design Principles
- DL 602 – Creating Quizzes, Surveys, and Assessments
- DL 701 – Using Web Conference Tools
- DL 702 – Mastering Blackboard’s Grade Center
- DL 703 – Using Blogs, Wikis, and Journals in Blackbaord
- DL 704 – Using Audio and Video in Blackboard
The CDLIT staff offers the following courses to train the faculty in the use of contemporary and emerging uses of technology:
Instructional & Professional Enhancement
- BON 101 – Build an Online Newspaper
- EW20T – Embedding Web 2.0 Tools in Blackboard
- GD 101 – Google Drive
- QUAL 101 – Using Qualtrics® Survey Software (see Tutorials below)
- RWA 101A – ETS Criterion (see Tutorials below)
The Center for Distance Learning and Instructional Technology awards two certificates: (1) A Certificate of Completion and (2) A Certification of Participation.
A Certificate of Completion denotes “proficient,” while a Certificate of Participation documents the faculty member’s participation in the training session.
Registration for all workshops is offered on a first-come, first-served basis and space is limited. Complete Online Registration here.
*Please note that faculty and instructors must complete the required workshops before teaching an online course.