The graduate program in English is designed
to prepare students for advanced programs of study in English and related
- to prepare well-qualified teachers of English for secondary schools and junior colleges,
- to provide an in-service program for teachers of English who serve in secondary schools and junior colleges,
- to prepare students for careers in mass media, and
- to prepare for classroom diversity in sociolinguistics of languages.
In accordance with the admission requirements of the Division of Graduate Studies and the Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages, admission to the graduate degree program in English requires the following:
- An application for admission to Graduate School, which is available on the Division of Graduate Studies website under Graduate Admissions (https://www2.jsums.edu/gadmappl/grad_form.cfm) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Prospective students may also write the Division of Graduate Studies at P.O. Box 17095, 1400 J.R. Lynch Street, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39217-0195.
- Official Transcripts: All applicants must submit two official copies of transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities attended.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages. A form is provided by the Division of Graduate Studies web site under Graduate Admissions (http://www.jsums.edu/gadmappl/GSRecF.PDF).
- Application Fee (if applicable): Out-of-state and International applicants must submit a $25.00 application fee (money orders only).
- Proof of Immunization: All applicants must submit immunization records showing proof of immunization compliance for measles and rubella, if born after December 1957.
- GRE: All applicants must submit official GRE scores to the department.
- Official TOEFL Score: International applicants must submit satisfactory TOEFL scores.
- Declaration of Financial Support: International applicants must also file a Certified Declaration of Financial Support with the University. Students who require further information should contact the Division of International Studies at email@example.com.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on the most recent level of college credit completed. For applicants who do not have an undergraduate degree in English, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a minimum of twenty-one (21) hours of college level credit is required.