The following requirements apply to students who choose the non-thesis option for the M.A.
- The student must indicate upon entering the program that he or she intends to pursue the non-thesis option by completing the Declaration of Intent Form.
- The student must complete a 33-hour curriculum that includes (1) completing the required core courses for the regular M.A. curriculum (ENG 501, ENG 505, and LING 501),
- (2) completing 18 hours of electives in English or other fields (with the restriction that only 6 hours may be taken outside the department),
- (3) taking two additional courses from the following list: ENG 570 Technical Writing, ENG 586 Practicum in Teaching Composition, ENG 591 Independent Study (for students working on projects), ENG 620 Classical Rhetoric, ENG 622 Seminar on Writing Problems, LING 504 Applied Linguistics, LING 509 Modern Trends in Grammar, LING 511 Linguistics and Pedagogy, LING 512 Second Language Teaching, or LING 514 Linguistics in Education.
- and (4) completing a non-thesis option portfolio and oral presentation that adhere to the criteria in the following list.