Optional Practical Training (OPT) is employment directly related to a student’s field of study and is intended to provide hands-on practical work experience complementary to the academic program. An F-1 student is eligible for a MAXIMUM OF 12 MONTHS. However, if a student begins a new academic program at a higher level (e.g. masters after bachelor’s degree or PhD after masters), the student is eligible for another 12 months of OPT. While on optional practical training, individuals are still considered to be F-1 students at Jackson State University even though they may be working elsewhere in the United States. Therefore, students are required to report within 10-days any changes in name, address, employer’s information and periods of interruption in employment.
- Be an F-1 student visa holder who has been enrolled full-time for at least one full academic year prior to submitting an OPT application
- Be maintaining lawful F-1 status
- Intend to obtain employment in a position directly related to your major field of study.
- Have not completed more than 364 days of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
- Have not utilized an equivalent of 12 months of OPT work authorization in current degree level.
- Have not already completed a degree at this level (e.g., second bachelor's degree) or at a higher level. Are not in an English language training program.
APPLICATION TIME FRAME:
- The I-765 and OPT I-20 must be received by USCIS no sooner than 90 days before the program end date and no later than 60 days after the program end date.
- In addition, the Form I-765 and I-20 in support of post-completion OPT must be received by USCIS no later than 30 days after the DSO updates SEVIS with the OPT recommendation.
- Program completion is defined as the day that you complete all requirements for your degree. This is normally the graduation day, but in some cases may be earlier if, for example, a graduate student defends his/her thesis/dissertation early in the semester.
APPLICATION FOR OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING
JSU Global assists with processing OPT applications and materials; however actual employment authorization is given by U.S. Citizenship and immigration Services (USCIS). Once all documentation listed below has been gathered, please submit them to JSU Global ISSS office.
OPT APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Application needs to be received by the USCIS within 30 days of OPT I-20 issue date.
- Two (2) passport photographs: On the back of each photo, write your full name and I-94 #. Photo guidelines here.
- Passport and VISA
- Copy of Social Security Card, (if applicable)
- Print out your I-94 card.
- Make a photocopy of ALL previously issued I-20s
- Photocopy of Change of Status I-797 receipt if you changed status to F-1 inside the U.S. (if applicable)
- Photocopy of previous EAD cards (if applicable)
- Check or Money Order for $410.00 (Immigration Fee Guidlines) made payable to: U.S Department of Homeland Security
An ISSS advisor will review your application packet and issue two new I-20s with the OPT recommendation (one for your personal record, and one to be signed and mailed with your application).