- MWC’s Levi Rowan Photograph Collection at Columbus Library
- Feb. 9: Fences: African Americans in Major League Baseball featuring Curtis Granderson
- Feb. 7: Nicholas Lemann To Speak at Old Capitol on Reconstruction
- Undergraduates: Present your research: Abstract due March 1, 2017
- Rev. Barron Banks joins effort to revitalize Holmes County
- MWC wins $300,000 grant to work with young women of color
- 49th Annual MLK Convocation
- Congratulations to our new graduates!
SHUR Abstract Deadline
March 1, 2017
The History Department at Mississippi State University invites undergraduate scholars to submit papers for the ninth annual Symposium for History Undergraduate Research (SHUR). The symposium, “Looking Back to the Future: Examining the Anomalies of the Past,” will provide students with the opportunity to present their research in the format of an academic history conference and have their work discussed by Mississippi State history professors. The event is scheduled for April 28-29, 2017, on the Mississippi State University campus in Starkville.
Papers are welcome on any historical topic, but especially those that reflect the Mississippi State University History Department’s strengths in the history of science and technology; agricultural, rural, and environmental history; military and diplomatic history; the Civil War; gender history; African American history and civil rights; and the American South.
The paper should be based on original research in primary sources. Interested should submit a proposal or abstract of not more than 400 words to Dr. Andrew Lang and Dr. Muey Saeteurn at SHUR@lists.msstate.edu by March 1, 2017. Students whose papers have been accepted will be notified by March 15, 2017. The History Department will offset the costs of one night’s lodging for presenters and provide a BBQ banquet dinner on the Symposium’s opening night.
SHUR is on Facebook at facebook.com/MSStateSHUR