How do I terminate the Banner access of a user who has transferred to another department or left the University?

An employee's supervisor must complete the Banner Access Termination Form.   

  1. Access the Banner Support tab. 
  2. Select the Banner Access Termination Form under Documents.  
  3. Complete the PDF form and email it to

If the access should be terminated immediately, send an email to or call (601) 979-0898.  Include the user's name, J-Number, contact telephone number, department, and a statement requesting that all access be terminated immediately.  The email must come from the email account of the person's supervisor.  The Banner Support team will follow up with you.

Posted in: Banner Support FAQ