Welcome. The School Instructional Leadership is a significant division in the College of Education and Human Development, and the unit represents the professional delivery structure and process for preparing highly qualified educators, administrators, curriculum specialists, and other school resource professionals for the 21st Century. Established out of the University’s approval of and commitment to Vision 20/20, the current organizational structure of the College of Education and Human Development was approved by select faculty and administrators for delivering instructional opportunities to students with emphasis on the University’s historic and urban mission. Educational realities, theories and practices, which prepare students for teaching careers also include the tenets and core values of the Responsive Educators Model (REM).
The School of Instructional Leadership (SIL) is administratively responsible for undergraduate and graduate programs in Ethnic and Cultural Studies, Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, Social Science Education, Special Education, Elementary and Early Childhood Education. The School’s major goal is to produce highly qualified teachers, administrators, and directors who understand the whole child in the teaching and learning process especially students from inner-city and urban America.
Competent professionals, who accept the tenets of REM and the University’s historic and urban mission, are the human capital who facilitate classes, drive professional instruction, conduct research, complete service learning activities, and assist in solving educational problems in America and Mississippi. These critical thinkers instruct candidates and others in the art and science of teaching and learning. Thus, they are critical thinker who market critical thinking procedures and processes so that community residents will be able to address the need of people especially those who live in inner-city and urban communities. Implementing standards based on the literature and documenting the results of teaching and learning experiences which are applicable to America are the duties of JSU professionals. The faculty is diverse and consists of master teachers, highly qualified professors, and researchers who come forty of the fifty states.
As stated in many reports, JSU and SIL operates on five (5) characteristics which are also the hallmarks and traditions of JSU teacher education legacy.
- It is a proud Historically Black College with a history of producing leaders and highly qualified educators.
- It is a college with a lengthy history and tradition of engaging pre-professionals from a multifaceted society on issues and public policies which emphasize inclusion, ethics, and fair play.
- It is Mississippi’s Urban University, an educational laboratory which has attracted research and curricula joint ventures which foster problem solving and critical thinking on America’s urban issues.
- It is an international known University with student involvement in numerous foreign countries and global awareness issues.
- It is a student oriented College which promotes the tenets of America’s participatory democracy with emphasis on self interest and the common good.
Established out of a need to foster the opportunity of a post secondary experience to qualified African-American school applicants, Jackson State University received its beginnings as Natchez Seminary in 1877 in Natchez, MS. In 1882, the college moved to Jackson, MS became known as Jackson College (JC), and in 1924 awarded its first AS degree to Mrs. Annie Mae Brown McGhee as a private Baptist College. In 1940, JC opened as a state supported college, and expanded its curriculum offerings in select areas of teacher education. In 1947, the Bachelor of Science in secondary education was offered with concentrations in six academic areas: Social Science Education and Music Education were two of the six.
During the 1941 graduation ceremony, President Jacob L. Reddix required the reciting of the Hippocratic Creed for Teachers by graduates. The reciting the this pledge continued throughout the Reddix Administration. The curriculum especially Teacher Education was committed to a functional program which was tailored to the needs of the people and students. In the 1960’s two schools replaced divisions: the School of Liberal Studies and the School of Education. Located in the School of Liberal Arts, the Social Science program emphasized leadership development at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Over the next three decades, the University thrived with advancements made in expanding the curriculum, changing from a quarter to semester system, attracting faculty with advance teaching and research skills, knowledge, and dispositions, and conducting research studies which offered insight into producing leaders of the future.
In 1980, structure of the School of Education included the Social Science Education Program which started in the School of liberal Studies. During this decade the University also received its urban designation which would be followed by the status and designation of a research intensive institution in the 1990’s. Since its inception, SIL has been positively affected by the aforementioned changes, and takes pride in continuing the legacy of preparing teachers for the 21st Century.