Hewitt wins NBC Universal scholarship

December 12th, 2012 by masscomm

Jade Hewitt

Mass comm junior Jade Hewitt, a native of Jackson, Miss., recently received the NBC Universal scholarship, a sponsor of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. The scholarship award totaling $6,200 will be paid in two distributions of $3,100 per semester.

This scholarship was open to all students attending a historically black college or university. Other criteria included a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 and a choice between two essay questions. Hewitt chose “What inspired you to pursue a degree in your current field of study and what impact will it have on our society?”

Hewitt said she was honored to receive the scholarship. “College tuition is steadily increasing, and I need as much financial support as I can possibly get to cover the costs of following my dreams,” said Hewitt, 20, who grew up in West Columbia, Texas. “It’s a blessing and I’m grateful.”

Hewitt has a concentration in multimedia journalism and a minor in biology. She aspires to become a news anchor for CNN and an activist/advocate for women and children.