Fridge attends Poynter Institute Multidimensional Journalist seminar

April 8th, 2013 by masscomm

By Dr. Sunny FridgePoynter_group_pic

I recently enjoyed four great days of training at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. During spring break, I had the opportunity to take part in the Multidimensional Journalist seminar from March 12-15, 2013.

A few of the highlights included sessions on how to write more effectively across platforms; strategies for maintaining accuracy, fairness and balance in deadline writing; doing ethics in the digital age; and one of my favorites, how to “Pimp  Your Job.”  The seminar was led by Tom Huang, Dallas Morning News Sunday and enterprise editor, and Kelly McBride,  senior faculty for ethics, reporting and writing.

The Multidimensional Journalist seminar helped me to focus on what it will take to be more effective at teaching, inspiring and motivating my students to learn the skills that will make them successful in the real world. Since the seminar, I have joined the Poynter Alumni Facebook page and LinkedIn group, which gives updates from Poynter faculty and other alumni on new books, new teaching and new insights on journalism and the media.

This seminar rekindled my passion for storytelling, and I also was encouraged by my new colleagues to begin blogging again. My goal is to continue to tweet, grow my social media brand, and post on my Fridge Notes blog  at least two times a week, if not more.