Faculty, students attend HBCU media conference

February 28th, 2014 by masscomm

The National HBCU Student News Media Conference focuses on strengthening skills and giving students a chance to meet with industry practitioners. MC students Taylor Bembery, Avi'Yam Jordan, Crystal Killingsworth, Guy King and Derrick Walton attended the 16th annual event held at Prairie View A&M University in Houston, Feb. 6-9.

Shannon Tatum, adjunct mass communications instructor and publications manager for The Blue & White Flash said, "It is very important for students to have the opportunity to not only network with current media professionals, but to also network with current mass communications students at other HBCU's. This conference gave them the opportunity to meet the students they will be competing against for jobs after graduation."

One of the sessions, presented by screenwriter and television producer Kristen V. Carter, was called Faces Behind the Lens: The Unseen Jobs. Information about off-camera jobs was shared, and students were strongly encouraged to have a cover letter, resume and reel by the time they graduate.

Texas Southern University assistant professor Serbino Sandifer-Walker, Richard White of ABC 13-TV, Tiffany Williams, adjunct professor at Prairie View A&M and brand manager/creative director for Twice Media Productions, presented Multimedia and Mobile Journalism. A variety of mobile apps were discussed, as well as external devices compatible with cell phones. The session gave students insight on how cell phone usage can be helpful in the field of journalism.

"The experience of the overall conference was beneficial for me because I plan to go into the field of journalism," said Bembery, a senior from Detroit. "I will be able to apply the things I learned in Houston to my work here at JSU. My favorite part of the conference was meeting Stephan A. Smith from ESPN. His message was very powerful. I loved how he emphasized that students [who] major in mass communications should never be complacent. He said that all students should be 'mission minded'."

(Article by mass comm senior Derrick Walton)

Posted in Students