Weather Channel’s Vivian Brown to Headline Mass Communications Day 2014

April 15th, 2014 by masscomm

Viviann BrownmcOn April 16 the Mass Communications Department will welcome Vivian Brown, a Jackson State University alumna who earned her B.S. in Meteorology, as the keynote speaker for Mass Communications Day 2014. Brown is a Jackson, Mississippi native who serves as an anchor for The Weather Channel.

"I get the most satisfaction out of my job knowing that the information I share could help someone save their life, property and loved ones," Brown said. She added, "I've always been fascinated with cloud development and storms. When I was in high school, I started thinking about my career and thought Meteorology was a wide open field for women and minorities."

MASS COMMUNICATIONS DAY AGENDA
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
9 – 9:45 a.m.
Breakfast Roundtable Discussions with Media Practitioners*
"Building Your Personal Brand within the Industry"
SPONSORED BY THE BLUE & WHITE FLASH
More than a dozen area media professionals will participate in this opportunity for students to intimately engage with practitioners in their area of interest. In small groups, students will be able get feedback on their resumes,
professional image and presentation style. Career tips, internship leads and building contacts are added bonuses.

10 – 11:00 a.m. Keynote Address and Q&A Session with Vivian Brown
"Maintaining Your Individual Image and Protecting the Corporate Brand"
Long-time anchor for The Weather Channel, Vivian Brown, will speak about her career challenges and successes and share her insights on how to maintain your personal image and support the network brand identity in a complex and competitive media landscape. (A moderated Q&A period will follow.)

11:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Luncheon and Student Presentations
"You Are the Brand" and “Rising Star” Contest Winners Announced
Mass Communications Awards, Honors and Special Presentations
SPONSORED BY WEATHERVISION

The winners of the portfolio competition themed "You Are the Brand" will be announced as will the winner of the “Rising Star” competition. Prizes will be awarded. Academic, campus media and special recognitions will be made.

Posted in Students