The Jackson State University Department of Mass Communications is a part of the School of Communications in the College of Liberal Arts. It is located on the first floor of the Mississippi e-Center @ JSU, 1230 Raymond Road.
The Department houses an instructional television studio and JSU-22 Tiger TV, a closed-circuit campus channel and co-curricular activity that allows students to air their original content.
The Department consists of nine full-time faculty members, about 225 undergraduate students, about 40 graduate students, and a 15-member Advisory Council. The Department offers three concentrations: Integrated Marketing Communications, Media Production and Multimedia Journalism.
- 1978 — established to offer the Bachelor of Science degree.
- 1984 — accredited by ACEJMC.
- 1991 — introduced the Master’s of Science degree.
- 1992 — established Advisory Council.
- 2008 — relocated to the Mississippi e-Center @ JSU from Blackburn Hall on the main campus.