The Department of Mass Communications at Jackson State University, Mississippi’s urban research university offers a comprehensive liberal arts education and prepares them for careers of substance in the 21st century.
Our curriculum programs seek to initiate innovation, increase curiosity, and inspire critical thinking and expression through exceptional teaching and academic scholarship, research, co-curricular activities, internships as well as practical and civic experiences.
We prepare global, innovative communicators for media professions, scholarship, and entrepreneurial opportunities.
We are committed to making use of the technological platforms and university resources to engage the community to develop rich, diverse, and sustainable relationships.
We will ensure that students acquire hands-on training to help them meet the technological, ethical and cultural challenges of a diverse society.
World-class Faculty, Students and Staff
- Increase the financial support for professional development and success of faculty, students and staff through training and travel to conferences and workshops.
- Improve the student portfolio assessment system involving professionals and alumni.
- Initiate a student/faculty think tank to develop software or apps for entrepreneurial ventures.
- Implement interdisciplinary projects and grants with Computer Science program and Business College.
- Develop a task force to research and anticipate the impact of communication technologies and media trends on existing curriculum.
State-of-the-Art Cyber Learning to Enhance Enrollment
- Expand enrollment through offering of online courses.
- Assist faculty to develop i-textbooks or other e-books, to lower student costs.
- Explore opportunities to deliver courseware through mobile devices.
- Faculty Research and Grant Funding Excellence
- Support faculty publication in peer-review journal articles to boost department prestige.
- Explore and pursue grants and funding possibilities to strengthen department resources.
- Hold monthly brownbag sessions for exchange on research findings and ideas.
- Write grants to attract and recruit first-rate students from high schools and other undergraduate programs
Commitment to Diversity and Global Engagement
- Establish global partnerships with media professionals, educators, and media organizations.
- Develop interdisciplinary international exchanges for learning beyond cultural borders.
- Offer workshops for international scholars programs such as the Fulbright.
- Liaise with other diversity programs such as the Association of International Educators (NAFSA) to expose the Department’s services and programs to educators and professionals worldwide
Enhancement of Existing Curriculum
- Add several comprehensive writing boot camp courses.
- Establish a Broadcast Meteorology Certificate Program.
- Establish the IMC Certificate for Marketing Professionals Program
- Revise the Practicum course to strategically prepare students for more productive internships.
Efficient Use of Campus Media for Student Learning
- Strengthen collaboration among campus media by providing training programs for students and celebrate faculty, staff and students
- Promote Interdisciplinary collaboration within and between colleges.
- Develop online radio programs “just for students” to achieve learning outcomes in programming, management, interviewing and production.
- Enhance student training through the on-campus weather station.
Strengthening of Alumni Ties
- Establish an Alumni Council that will promote the department’s goals.
- Operate an alumni e-Newsletter to strengthen alumni/department ties that will allow alumni to become the department’s advocates and investors.
- Honor alumni with awards during an annual Alumni Hall of Fame Awards Banquet.
Other Strategic Initiatives
- Design high quality student media products for local, national and global audiences.
- Recruit and train graduate students in all areas of media, and monitor student progress.
- Partner with local media to increase outreach and service to local middle and high schools.
- Increase the number of scholarships through support of Institutional Advancement.
- Establish a Media Entrepreneurship Certificate for media professionals and educators.