Assistant Director of Choral Activities
Dr. Loretta Galbreath is the Assistant Director of Choral Activities and Director of the Vocal Jazz Ensemble at Jackson State University. She holds degrees from Lincoln University of Missouri (BME), University of Missouri-Columbia (MME), and the American Conservatory of Music (DMA in Choral Conducting).
Prior to her position at JSU, she taught at Jefferson City Public Schools and was the Director of Choral Activities at Lincoln University of Missouri. Dr. Galbreath’s many accomplishments while teaching at Lincoln University culminated with her participation in a recording with the Lincoln University Vocal Ensemble and national recording artist “Nelly”. She has been a guest organist with the Charleston Symphony Orchestra and Charleston Symphony Gospel Choir.
Dr. Galbreath has been a presenter at the Missouri Music Educator’s Conference, a presenter at the Church Music Workshop at Jackson State University, named Who’s Who Among Teachers and Colleges and Universities, Who’s Who Among Executive and Professional Women, Who’s Who of American Women, and was recently named Who’s Who in Black Mississippi. She is currently the director of the JSU University Choir, Women’s Chorus, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, teaches applied voice and other related courses.
Dr. Galbreath is an active member in several professional organizations including ACDA, NCCO, MENC, JEN, NATS, and SAI.
She formed the Gospel Voices of Jackson (Jackson State students and Redeemer Choir members) and went on a mission trip to Tokyo, Japan (2008 & 2009).
She successfully organized a vocal jazz ensemble at Jackson State University ( the first ensemble in the history of JSU) and produced the first CD “The Jazz Experience” released Spring 2010
Additional Professional Accomplishments include:
- Charter Coordinator for the Mid Missouri Middle School/Junior High Music Festival
- Who’s Who Among America’s College Teachers at Lincoln University and Jackson State University
- Lincoln University Vocal Ensemble performed at Carnegie Hall
- Lincoln University Vocal Ensemble was featured at the Missouri State Fair
- Lincoln University Choir selected to perform in Austria, Germany
- Guest musician with the South Carolina Symphony Orchestra
- Presenter for the Missouri State Music Educator’s Conference
- Performed with Ms. Cassandra Wilson, a Grammy award winning jazz vocalist
- Director of the Mississippi Girls Choir
- CAMP (Collaborative African-American Music Project), which included a collaborative grant, paper, and performance with Dr. David Akombo.
- Clinician for JSU’s Song Festival 2012.
- JCMC will perform at the 150th Anniversary of the Seige and Campaign of Vicksburg.
- Jackson State University Vocal Jazz Ensemble won the Gold Cup and Adjudicator’s Award at the International Choral Festival in Verona, Italy
- Jackson State University Vocal Jazz Ensemble won an Outstanding Performance Award at the Alcorn Jazz Festival
- Jackson State University Vocal Jazz Ensemble received an Outstanding Performance Award at the Alabama Hall of Fame Jazz Festival
- Performed “Mother” in Menotti’s “Amahl and the Night Visitor” Opera scenes at Lincoln University of Missouri in 1997.
- “Porgy and Bess” Children’s Chorus Director
- Director and Founder of the Jackson Community Mass Choir
Dr. Galbreath is a member of the New Horizon Church International in Jackson, Mississippi and is currently serving as Music Director at Shekinah Glory Baptist Church.