Does my scholarship cover all or a portion of my housing?

For any scholarship questions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions for details about your academic scholarship.

Am I allowed to change residential communities before school starts?

Students must wait to room consolidation to change halls.  Room consolidation dates are announced in September. 

Am I allowed to change my roommate before school starts?

Our office will make every effort to accommodate the request if we can.  If we are unable to grant your request, we ask for students to wait until Room Consolidation to switch roommates. 

Are students always paired with their requested roommate?

Every effort will be made to accommodate roommate preferences when all of the following conditions are met:  A) Both applicants request each other within three days of original application, and B) a double room vacancy exists.  Please note:  Roommate preferences take priority over your hall preference in the assignments process. 

Is there designated housing for honors students?

There is designated housing for new freshmen honors students with Dixon (men) and McAllister (women).  Once the designated spaces have been filled, new freshmen honors students will be housed in the appropriate first year halls. 

Are student athletes required to reside in a specific residence hall?

No.  Athletes can live in any of our residential communities including Tiger Pointe and Tiger Plaza. 

How can I find out information about my PO Box?

If you need any information about your PO Box, including your PO Box number, please contact Postal Services located on the first floor of the Reddix Complex. 

Who do I speak with about changing my meal plan?

New students cannot change their meal plan option. Upper class students can go to Dining Services, located on the first floor of the student center to change their meal plan.  

Are residential students required to have a meal plan?

Yes, all students who reside on campus (including University Pointe) must have a meal plan and will be assigned the all Access Meal Plan I.  

When do I receive my room assignment and when do I find out who my roommate is?

Information on room and roommate assignment can be found in your JSU PAWS account under the Housing Information Tab.  Please note that suite mate information is not found for students who reside in Campbell College Suites and University Pointe, Buildings 4-10. 

What are the various fees associated with housing?

Housing staff will place the following charges on all student accounts:

  University housing room fee, Meal Plan, and PO Box Fee.  These fees will appear on the electronic student account statement.  

What if I have a previous balance over $200.00? How can I receive a housing assignment?

You must contact the business office and get on a payment plan prior to receiving an assignment. Once you have gotten on a payment plan, please bring the documentation to Housing and Residence Life and we will assign you accordingly. 

Are all returning students eligible for housing?

Only returning students who are in good conduct standing and students with a previous balance of $200.00 or less are eligible to receive housing. 

Are returning students guaranteed housing?

We cannot guarantee space availability for returning students. 

Is there an application fee for housing?

Yes.  All new students to university housing must pay a one-time 100.00 non-refundable fee for housing.  The office must have the application fee prior to assigning a housing assignment.  Please note that the application fee does not guarantee a housing assignment. 

What residence halls are available to new freshmen?

New freshmen women will be housed in McAllister/Whiteside.  New freshmen males will be housed in Dixon and Alexander West. 

Are new first-time freshmen and transfer students required to live in University housing?

No; however, we encourage all new students to live on campus and our office will make every effort to house new students.