Professional Advisement Center

Who are the professional advisors in Undergraduate Studies and how can they be contacted?

Professional Advisor Name:

Room Number:

Advisee Letters:

Kenya Washington



Galina Bennett



Kafond Wilder



Clarence Lowe



F. Janelle Hannah Jefferson



Edna Caston



Sonya Webster



Felicia Russell



LaTonya Robinson-Kanonu



Shandra Thompson



Jennifer Scott-Gilmore


(Transfer A-M)

LeKesha Tubbs-Hadley


(Transfer N-Z)

Josie Latham


(Summer Bridge)

Parkisha Davis


(Summer Bridge)

Sherry Rankin


(Summer Developmental Students)

Venetia Miller


(Honors College Students)

Stop by C.F. Moore or call (601) 979-2127 to make an appointment to see your academic advisor.
We provide the following services:  add/drop classes, change of major, excused absences, Degree Works, and Referrals.


What are students expected to do while being advised?

Make regular contact or schedule regular appointments with your academic advisor.

Arrive prepared for each advising session.

Bring curriculum sheet, materials, and questions.

Be an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience.

Discuss issues and specific concerns with your academic advisor.

Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting your academic goals.

Organize official documents including change of major form receipt, curriculum sheet, and academic plan in a way that you can easily access them when needed.

Clarify personal values and goals and provide your advisor with accurate information regarding your interests and abilities.

Become knowledgeable about JSU programs, policies, and procedures.

Ask your advisor for referrals and utilize campus support and resources for academic goals.

Know and be responsible for adhering to academic timelines and rules (last day to add/drop, withdraw, and schedule adjustments).

Ask for immediate clarification if you do not understand a recommendation, policy, procedure, or action made by your advisor.

Follow through on recommendations made by your advisor.

What is Degree Works and how can it help me?

Degree Works is an effective tool that allows you to identify your current progress towards your degree completion, calculate your projected GPA, make and store academic plans, and explore JSU degree program options with the ‘what-if’ feature.

What is a co-requisite course?

A co-requisite course is a class that you can or may be required to take while taking another course.

What are prerequisite courses?

A pre-requisite course is a course or requirement that must be met in order to register for another course. For example, BIO 111 must be completed before taking BIO 112. In other words, your permanent academic record (Transcript) must show that you have successfully completed BIO 111 before you can register for BIO 112.

How do students register for classes?

Students who have earned less than fifty-nine hours must meet with their academic advisors to develop a schedule.  Students who are classified as Juniors or Seniors and have earned sixty credit hours or more are able to receive their alternate PIN numbers to complete their schedules themselves.  

What is the difference between a full-time course load and part-time course load?

 A full-time course load means that you are registered for at least twelve credit hours. In most cases that equates to four classes. A part-time course load is any number of classes less than 12 credit hours.  The maximum number of hours per semester is nineteen credit hours.  Students will be encouraged by their advisors to register for at least fifteen semester hours per the “Finish in Four” campaign set forth by the Mississippi Institution of Higher Learning.  

Are students allowed to change their major?

Yes. Changing your major is a normal part of the college experience.  Please see Mrs. Jefferson in the Professional Advisement Center to initiate the process. 

When should students see their advisors?

You can see your advisor anytime.  Professional Advisors are located in the Charles F. Moore Building.  First Year Faculty Advisors are located in their respective academic departments.   Meeting with your advisor during non-registration periods has advantages. Not only can you talk with your advisor about classes for the upcoming semester, but you can also talk with them about your career goals or other matters.

How are students assigned professional advisors?

At JSU, we offer a dual Professional and Faculty Advisors program that is designed to  help students develop academic plans compatible with educational and life goals.  Students who are classified as freshmen and sophomores or students who have earned less than fifty-nine credit hours are advised by their professional advisor in the Professional Advisement Center.  Students’ professional academic advisors are designated by the first letter of their last name.   Students who have earned sixty or more credit hours are exclusively advised in their academic departments.

What is an academic advisor?

An academic advisor is the person who provides academic advice or guidance to students. He or she develops a working relationship with students, usually referred to as their advisees, to assist them with clarifying their educational and career goals. Advisors ensure that their advisees follow and meet degree requirements for a specific program, and that they are aware of and follow the college’s academic policies and procedures.