Transfer Student FAQs

Who is my Academic Advisor?

Transfer students with less than 60 hours are assigned an advisor in Undergraduate Studies. Transfer students with 60 or more earned hours or an associate’s degree are assigned an advisor in their academic departments.

How important is it to connect with my Academic Advisor?

Very! Your Academic Advisor is a professional assigned to you to assist with your course selection or deletion, semester registration, approval of absentee excuses, etc. Connecting with your advisor is a key element in becoming and remaining successful at JSU.

How do I know which of my credits transferred?

JSU utilizes the Articulation Agreement between the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning and the Mississippi Board for Community and Junior Colleges. The university usually allows full credit for a course taken at another accredited institution if a comparable course is offered at JSU.

Are Vocational Courses transferable to JSU?

Students usually do not transfer credit for courses designed specifically for technical and vocational career programs. The dean of the college should be consulted on questions pertaining to the transfer of credits.

Why are there multiple GPAs on my transcript?

Grades earned in transfer courses may be shown on the permanent record at JSU but will not be used in calculating JSU grade point average. Transfer credits have a separate GPA from your JSU GPA.

What is the procedure for changing my major?

You can obtain a change of major form from your Academic Advisor within Undergraduate Studies in the Charles F. Moore Building (CFM). This form will be forwarded to the JSU Registrar’s office to finalize your request for change of major.

How do I activate my JSU email address?

Visit the JSU homepage at Click on the link entitled “email.” Click on the icon that states “First Time Email Users – Information.” This will walk you step-by-step on specific instructions regarding your email address.

How do I login to Canvas to access my online classes

All users must have an active Network Identifier (NetID) in order to log into Canvas For instruction on how to obtain a (NetID), log into JSU PAWS and select “Activate NetID.” After you have setup your NetID, log into Canvas with your J Number for the username and your NetID for your password. If you forget your NetID password, go to for instruction.

If I have any more questions or concerns specifically relating to a transfer student, who do I contact?

You may contact Jennifer E. Scott-Gilmore, Coordinator of Transfer Student Services, in the Charles F. Moore Building, Office 214, by phone at 601.979.3339 or email