Veterans Affairs

What if I am deployed or called to active duty during the semester?

If you are called to active duty and need to withdraw while receiving benefits, there are a few offices on campus that you must notify. It is imperative that you contact the Division of Student Life, the Department of Registrar & Records, your academic department, housing (if you live on campus) and the Veterans Center. This will ensure that you do not pay tuition and fees unnecessarily and to ensure a smooth return at a later date.

  • Bring a copy of your orders to the JSU Veterans & Military center and we will forward it to the VA.
  • If you deploy overnight or after business hours, fax a copy of your orders to 601‐979‐0890 (JSU Veterans Center)
  • Contact your academic department, financial aid, housing (if you live on campus), the registrar’s office and the division of student life.

How do I verify my enrollment each month?

The VA requires that all Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 student veterans contact the VA on the last day of each month to verify enrollment. If you do not call, your payment will be held until you contact them. To verify by phone call 1‐877‐823‐2378 or you can verify online through the WAVE system;

How can I receive credit for Educational Experience in the Armed Services?

Jackson State University utilizes the American Council on Education’s Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services” for the evaluation of training for military occupational skills. Veterans & Military Students may contact Mrs. Donna Epps at 601‐979‐2802. (JSU Department of Registrar & Records)

Additional military transfer credits are at the discretion of the major department chair and the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.

What if I have a change in my enrollment status?

You must contact JSU Veteran Center immediately. The staff will help you determine if and how the change will impact your benefits each semester. If you change your schedule, bring a revised one signed by your advisor. Failure to do this may result in a reduction in your benefits and it will create a VA debt (You will have to pay money back to the VA)

After I am certified, when will I receive my benefits?

The VA takes approximately 4‐6 weeks to process a claim. You can always contact the JSU Veterans & Military Center after the 4‐6 weeks time frame, or you may contact the VA directly at 1‐888‐442‐4551.

How can I receive my benefits every semester and stay certified with the VA?

VA benefits certification must be completed each semester. You must contact the Veterans & Military Center each semester after you have completed registration to stay certified. After we review your enrollment status we will send the VA an enrollment certification for each semester you are enrolled in school.

How many months of benefits can I receive?

You can be entitled to receive up to 36 months of full time education benefits, however, entitlement is dependent upon many factors covered by the VA. Refer to for the current VA rates based on your chapter.

Can I receive VA work‐study benefits?

Yes, VA work‐study benefits are available for those who qualify,
however, you must contact the JSU Veterans Center.

What G.I. Bill Benefits are available?

The VA has the ultimate authority in determining your eligibility for VA Educational Benefits. Listed below are the chapters available.

  • Chapter 30: Active Duty; Montgomery G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation (Disabled  Veterans)
  • Chapter 33: Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 35: Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 & 1607: Reserve & National Guard Educational Benefits
  • The FRY scholarship: This scholarship is available to students of service members who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Kickers & Buy‐Ups: These are additional amounts of benefits that are part of the original enlistment contract or part of a re‐enlistment contract. You must contact your military unit commander for more details.  1‐888‐442‐4551

What VA form do I complete, there are so many?

  • VA Form 22‐1990 is for students who have never utilized any G.I. Bill benefits and are first time users.
  • VA Form 22‐1995 is for students who have used benefits at another school and are transferring to Jackson State University.
  • VA Form 22‐5490 is for those students who are dependents of a veteran.
  • VA Form 22‐5495 is for those students who are dependents of a veteran and are transferring from another school to Jackson State University.
  • VA Form 28‐1900 is for those students who are classified by the VA as “Vocational Rehabilitation”. You must contact your local VA office at 601‐362‐4471.

How do I start or apply for my educational benefits?

You can apply for benefits two ways. The first process is to complete an online application for VA education benefits @ and click on “Apply Online.”

The second process is to complete an application in the Veterans & Military Center at Jackson State University. Once you receive your “Certificate of Eligibility” from the VA, bring a copy to the Veterans & Military Center for certification purposes. If you are currently in a military unit bring a copy of your “Notice of Basic Eligibility” that comes from your military unit education officer.

What services are provided by the Veterans Center?

We have any array of support services both on & off campus.

  • GI Bill Certification
  • Student Veteran Financial Benefits Support
  • Financial Aid Assistance
  • Recruitment & Admissions Assistance
  • Student Veteran Mentorship Program
  • Student Veterans Association (National Organization)
  • Academic Advising
  • Leadership Development
  • Veteran Career & Transitional Assistance
  • Counseling Services
  • Veterans Work‐Study Program
  • Air Force & Army ROTC Assistance
  • Military Reserve Financial Assistance
  • “Out‐of‐State” Fee Waivers for military dependents
  • Veteran Affairs & VA Medical Assistance (local & Federal)

Where is the Veterans & Military Center located?

Jacob L. Reddix Hall; 3rd Floor Suite 302 . The veterans and Military Center can be contacted at 601-979-1365.