The mission of the Developmental and Enhancement Studies Program is to promote the retention and academic success of students by providing a comprehensive array of academic enhancement services and activities to the entire university community. New students are assisted in acquiring the skills and competencies (especially in reading, writing, and math) that will ensure their success in upper division courses. They are provided with a comprehensive array of academic and support services focused on enhancing academic achievement, facilitating their smooth transition into JSU and improving matriculation, retention and graduation rates. The Academic Enhancement Division encourages intellectual engagement, student creativity and leadership by providing a rich academic environment to students that is challenging and rewarding while encouraging academic excellence and providing opportunities for future graduate study.
Goals and Objectives
- To provide comprehensive, academic support services focused on the needs of students.
- To increase the university’s matriculation, retention and graduation rates.
- To provide an effective, integrated developmental program resulting in an increased rate of students exiting remediation within one year.
- To provide a comprehensive Academic Support Center which meets the needs of the entire student community.
- To encourage scholarship by providing an enriched academic environment that will reward and encourage high academic achievement.