Jackson State University takes pride in our transfer students and works hard to ensure a seamless and smooth transition to our university.  Transfer Student Services within Undergraduate Studies has compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions by our transfer students. We hope that this FAQ fact sheet will be informative in connecting you to the resources made available here at JSU. JSU cares about you and your success and encourages you to take advantage of the opportunities that we have to offer you.

Frequently Asked Questions by Transfer Students

Who is my Academic Advisor?  Transfer students with less than 60 hours are assigned an advisor in Undergraduate Studies. Transfer students with 60 or more earned hours or an associate’s degree are assigned an advisor in their academic departments. 

How important is it to connect with my Academic Advisor?  Very!! Your Academic Advisor is assigned to you to assist with course selection or deletion, semester registration, approval of absentee excuses, etc.  Connecting with your advisor is a key element in becoming and remaining successful at JSU.

How do I know which of my credits transferred?  JSU utilizes the Articulation Agreement between the Mississippi Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning and the Mississippi Board for Community and Junior Colleges. The university usually allows full credit for a course taken at another accredited institution if a comparable course is offered at JSU.  Jackson State University accepts transfer courses with “C” grades or better. 

Are Vocational Courses transferable to JSU?  Students usually do not transfer credit for courses designed specifically for technical and vocational career programs. The dean of the college should be consulted on questions pertaining to the transfer of credits.

Why are there multiple GPA’s on my transcript?  Grades earned in transfer courses may be shown on the permanent record at JSU but will not be used in calculating JSU grade point average. Transfer credits have a separate GPA from your JSU GPA.

What is a JSU SuperCard?  The Jackson State University card is a multi-purpose card. It functions as an identification card for all students, faculty, and staff. It must be visibly worn at all times. The JSU Supercard Program works almost exactly like your regular debit card. The card gives students, faculty, and staff access to funds within their accounts to purchase goods and services from participating merchants, even off campus.

How do I activate my SuperCard?  You are welcome to apply for a card account by completing an application in the ID Center. You can deposit funds into your SuperCard account by visiting Financial Services on the 2nd Floor of the B.F. Roberts Building at the cashier’s station. For more information on your SuperCard, visit   http://www.jsums.edu/supercard/.

What is the procedure for changing my major?  You can obtain a change of major form from your Academic Advisor within Undergraduate Studies in the Charles F. Moore Building (CFM). This form will be forwarded to the JSU Registrar’s office to finalize your request for change of major.

How do I activate my JSU email address?  Visit the JSU homepage at http://www.jsums.edu. Click on the link http://www.jsums.edu/support/email/  This will walk you step by step on specific instructions regarding your email address.

How do I login to Blackboard to access my online classes?  All users must have an active NetID in order to log into Blackboard. For instructions on how to obtain a Network Identifier (NetID), log into JSU PAWS and select “Activate NetID”. After you have setup your NetID, log in to Blackboard with your J Number for the username and your NetID for the password. If you forget your NetID password, go to http://www.jsums.edu/jsuonline/getting-started-information/ for instructions.

If I have any more questions or concerns specifically relating to a transfer student….You may contact Mrs. Jennifer E. Scott-Gilmore, Coordinator of Transition in the Charles F. Moore Building, Rm. 214, by phone at 601.979.3339 or email at transferservices@jsums.edu.