Travel Grant Policies

Full-time tenure track faculty may request up to $1,250 per our fiscal year (October 1 to September 30) for travel expenses to present research or creative products at scholarly and professional conferences. Specifically, each full-time, tenure track faculty member can request up to $1,250  for the above described travel for the period of October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018.  Approval of your request from your College Dean/Department Chair is required.  Each complete application will be reviewed and the applicant notified of the decision.  We will honor requests as long as funds are available. (The travel period is based on the dates of travel not the date of request.)  Travel taken prior to the date of application will not be funded. 

Allowable travel-related expenses include conference registration, lodging and transportation. An approved Travel Request Form must be completed at least 14 days before travel commences. (The online form requesting funds  from the Division of Academic Affairs is not a Travel Request Form.) Funds are only available for travel within the 48 contiguous states of the United States. (Funds cannot subsidize costs for travel internationally or to Alaska, Hawaii or U.S. territories.)

Each trip requires an application. Please submit your application as early as possible to assure that your paperwork is processed before the beginning of your travel. If you are requesting that the Division of Academic Affairs pay for registration, the application must be submitted at least 45 days before the beginning of your travel.

Your travel grant is not approved until you receive a confirmation e-mail from the Division of Academic Affairs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How many times can I travel?

A:  Subject to the $1,250 limit per our fiscal year (October 1 to September 30), there is no limit on the number of trips that may be taken per year.

Q:  Do funds carryover? If I did not use $1,250 last year, can I use $2,500 this year?

A:  Unused funds cannot be carried forward by faculty members from one fiscal year to the next.

Q:  Can I use travel grant funds to pay for membership to the professional organization hosting the         conference I plan to attend?

A:  No. Membership fees are not funded.

Q:  Can I use the travel grant funds for per diem or meals?

A:  No. Funds can not be used to subsidize per diem or meals.

Q:  Is there a deadline to submit?

A:  Requests for subsidy must be submitted and completed at least 14 days before travel commences.  If the request for subsidy is approved, then a travel request form must be completed before travel commences. Otherwise, there is no other deadline. Requests for subsidy are accepted and evaluated on a rolling basis.

Q:  I have expended my travel funds available through the Division of Academic Affairs Faculty Development. Are there any other options?

A:  Faculty may contact their department chairs and college deans for additional travel support.

Q:  I want to drive to a conference. Will that impact my reimbursement?

A:  The most economical transportation is funded. If the mileage cost of driving exceeds the cost of airfare to the destination, you may be reimbursed only up to the amount of the airfare estimate.