Jackson State University is providing emergency financial aid grant to eligible undergraduate and graduate students from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund, which is part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. JSU is providing details about the use of these funds below based on the U.S. Department of Education reporting requirements.
- JSU signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement for Higher Education Relief and Funding on May 19, 2020 and intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds under Section 18004 (a)(1) CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- JSU received $8,446,248.00 from the U.S. Department of Education as a result of the CARES Act, with a minimum of $4,223,124.00 set aside for student grants and a maximum of $4,223,124.00 allocated as institutional funding.
- As of Monday, August 24,2020, JSU has distributed 4623 grants to students through the CARES ACT.
- The total estimated number of JSU students eligible to participate in the CARES Act funding program is 4623.
- JSU is disbursing funds in a two-phase process. For Phase 1, students were required to submit an online application self-certifying their covered expenses related to food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child care that resulted from the University’s change of business operations. A one-time monetary payment was made to eligible students with a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid, meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, and enrolled for spring 2020 in face to face classes.
- Phase 2 awarding began on August 24, 2020. Remaining funds will be distributed to 4623 eligible students based on the answers submitted by the student on his/her application during Phase 1. In Phase 2, students will receive a $253 payment.
- JSU provided instructions for applying for the grants through email to all students enrolled as of March 23, 2020, posting to the campus portal, web page and provided a dedicated email address for students to send inquiries.