Concentration: Behavioral Health Promotion and Education
|Institution and Location||Degree||Year||Concentration|
|Jackson State University – Jackson, MS||DrPH||2021||Behavioral Health and Health Education|
|Florida International University – Miami, FL||MPH||2015||Health Promotion and Disease Prevention|
|University of Eastern Africa Baraton||BS||2011||Foods and Nutrition|
|Institute of Healthcare Management||Diploma in Community Health||2006||Community Health|
|Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES); Certification #25678||2015|
|Registered Dietician – Nairobi, Kenya; Registration #B/0738/11||2010|
|Institution||Area of Interest||Position||Duties||Date(s)|
|Jackson State University||College of Health Sciences, School of Public Health||Visiting Assistant Professor||
||August 2022 – Present|
|University of Alabama||College of Community Health Sciences||Postdoctoral Research Fellow/Visiting Scientist||
||September 2021 – August 2022|
|Unicaf Partner Universities (Liverpool John Moores University, University of South Wales, and University of Suffolk||Online Public Health Faculty||
||February 2018 – Present|
|Kenyatta National Hospital||Nutrition Consultant/Educator||
||January 2011 – September 2012|
|University of Mississippi Medical Center||John D. Bower School of Population Health Science STI Research Lab||Researcher III||
||December 2019 – August 2021|
|Jackson State University, School of Public Health||Department of Behavioral and Environmental Health||Graduate Assistant||
||August 2017 – March 2020|
|Florida International University||Office of Research and Economic Development (ORED)||Graduate Research Assistant||
||January 2014 – December 2015|
|University of Nairobi||School of Medicine||HIV Research Coordinator||
||June 2012- July 2013|
|Tougaloo College||Owens Health and Wellness Center||DrPH Practicum Resident||
||October 2018 – July 2019|
|Baptist Health South Florida||Congregational Health Department||Community Health Educator||
||January 2015 – September 2015|
Burns, P. A., Teng, F., Omondi, A. A., Burton, E. T., & Ward, L. (2022). Sex education and sexual risk behavior among adolescents and youth in the Deep South: Implications for youth HIV prevention. Southern Medical Journal, 115(5), 310–314.
Anyimukwu, C., & Omondi, A. A. (2021). Assessment of psychosocial interventions in opioid cessation: A systematic review. Journal of Alcohol & Drug Education, 64(2), 62-86.
Burns, P., Omondi, A. A., Monger, M., Washington, R., Gomillia, C…………& Mena, L. A. (2021).
Meet me where I am: An evaluation of an HIV patient navigation intervention to increase uptake of PrEP among Black men who have sex with men in the Deep South. Journal of Racial Ethnic Health Disparities. doi: 10.1007/s40615-020-00933-1
Pierre-Victor, D., Stephens, D. P., Omondi, A.A., Clarke, R., Jean-Baptiste, N., & Madhivanan, P. (2018). Barriers to HPV vaccination among unvaccinated, Haitian American college women. Health Equity, 2(1), 90–97. http://doi.org/10.1089/heq.2017.0028
Selected Conference Presentations & Peer-Reviewed Abstracts:
- Omondi, A. A., & Shaw-Ridley, M. (2022). Cervical cancer screening among Younger Black Women:
From Mississippi to Kenya Snapshots. Proceedings of the International Union for Health
Promotion and Education Annual Meeting 24. Abstract Available from:
- Omondi, A. A., & Shaw-Ridley, M. (2021). Cervical cancer screening experiences among younger
women in Mississippi. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting,
149. Denver, Colorado.
- Anyimukwu, C., Omondi, A. A., & Milton, E. (2019). Reducing food insecurity in the state of
Mississippi: Advocating for change. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association
Annual Meeting, 147, Session, 4299.0. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Milton, E., Anyimukwu, C., & Omondi, A. A. (2019). Characteristics of fragile community in rural
Mississippi: A snapshot of health disparities. Proceedings of the American Public Health
Association Annual Meeting, 147, Session, 3073.0. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Ogungbe, O., Omondi, A.A., Watts, A., & Roberts, J. (2018). Perception of contraception among
NEWLY enrolled college students. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association
Annual Meeting, 146, Session, 3216. San Diego, California
- Ogungbe, O., Omondi, A.A., Watts, A., & Roberts, J. (2018). First-year experience: A medium for
sexual health education. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting,
146, Session, 4316. San Diego, California
- Omondi, A.A., Anyimukwu, C., & Milton, E. (2019). Advocating for HPV vaccine in Mississippi.
Proceedings of the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 147, Session, 4387.0.
- Omondi A. A., Anyimukwu, C., & Milton, E. (2019). Advocating for Human Papillomavirus vaccine law
in Mississippi. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, 147,
Session, 4299.0. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Omondi, A. A., Shaw-Ridley, M., & De la Pena, N., A. (2018). Revisiting the ABC MODEL: Abstain,
Be faithful, use a condom. Proceedings of the American Public Health Association Annual
Meeting, 146, Session, 2056. San Diego, California
- Omondi, A.A., Shaw-Ridley, M (2015). Theories, misconceptions, media, and the public: Ebola in
perspectives. Proceedings of the 66th Annual Society of Public Health Education (SOPHE)
conference. Portland, Oregon.
Fellowships and Academic Awards:
- Cancer Epidemiology Education in Special Populations (CEESP) Fellowship – 2021
- Jackson State University School of Public Health Scholarship – 2017-2020
- Society for Public Health Education 21st Century Scholarship – 2016
- Delta Society for Public Health Educators July 2018 Students Spotlight
- Alpha Epsilon Lambda, The Honor Society of Graduate and Professional School Students awarded to top scholars – 2019
- Golden Key International Honor Society awarded to top scholars – 2019
- American Public Health Association (AHPA)
- National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)
- Mississippi Public Health Association (MPHA)
- Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) – Co-chair, membership committee (2015-2016)
- Kenya Nutritionist and Dietetics Association (KNDA)
Word of Life, Ridgeland, Mississippi – 2019-Present
Church Nursery Volunteer
- Oversee the child registration process
- Provide childcare services during service celebrations
- Clean and tidy the nursery after children leave
- Attend occasional early childhood ministry meetings
- Complete other tasks as assigned