Cohort 1 Graduate Tamia Herndon Selected as Director of Online Education at Alcorn State

JSU Websites > Executive PhD in Urban Higher Education | Jackson State University > Alumni News > Cohort 1 Graduate Tamia Herndon Selected as Director of Online Education at Alcorn State

sm-tamia_herndon_resizedSource: Alcorn.edu

Alcorn State University has chosen the person they believe will enhance online education for students.

Jackson, Mississippi native, Dr. Tamia Herndon, is the newest director of Online Education. She has over 16 years of experience in higher education. She started her career at Tougaloo College where she served as a fundraiser, senior admissions counselor, head recruiter and director of Alumni Affairs in the school’s Office of Institutional Advancement. She was also the major gifts manager at Jackson State University. She went on to become a full-time faculty before becoming a campus dean at Strayer University.

With all of today’s technological advancements, Herndon is excited to use technology to ensure the progress of online education at Alcorn.

“I am very excited to be a member of the Alcorn State University staff,” said Herndon. “I will now be able to use my vision to develop the online courses and programs we need to continue to advance with the ever changing times where technology and online opportunities are forever growing. I look forward to working with deans, chairs and faculty.”

Working for Alcorn is a great fit for Herndon because of the ties she has to the University. Her love for being a part of another historically black university also makes her ideal for her new role.

“Once I was informed that this position was available, I immediately took it upon myself to apply for the position. I had not been on the campus since I was very young and when I came down for a visit, I absolutely fell in love with the campus. To have the opportunity to assist any HBCU is ideal for me.”

Herndon plans to use her expertise to make online education at Alcorn better than it’s ever been.

“I want to enhance students’ technological skills. I also want to continue to create courses that are strictly online for students who travel a lot. I want them to still obtain content, tools, training and information that they would get from a classroom setting at any time.”

About the author

Temporary Web master of JSU. Employee of JSU since 2006 till present.