Skip to main content

JSU Passport to the World – FAQs

General Info

What is “JSU Passport to the World” (PTTW)?

The “JSU Passport to the World” Program is a four-week international experience.  Two weeks are spent on campus and two weeks abroad at a destination that is selected by faculty and enhances the educational experience.  Faculty members from Jackson State University lead each program, including providing all instruction for the program, supplemented by guest lecturers, and co-curricular and extracurricular activities taking place in-country.

What JSU department organizes PTTW?

The Study Abroad Office of JSU Global organizes the PTTW program in coordination with the individual colleges and schools of JSU.

Do I have to attend summer school?

Yes, students must enroll in designated classes in the College sponsoring your selected study abroad destination.


Will I receive academic credit for the courses?

Yes. Each student will receive 3 or 6 hours of academic credit as approved by their advisor. Please have your advisor approve the 6 hours prior to leaving.


When must I register for the classes?

Upon approval of your application and payment of your deposit, you will receive information on how to register for the class.


How many students are allowed in each group?

Minimum is 12 students; maximum will vary depending on the program.


Do I have to take the course offered that goes with my major?

No, you don’t have to do so.  However, you need to check with your academic advisor to confirm that the 6 credit hours will count towards degree attainment.  In some cases, courses can be used as electives. If you are using federal aid to pay for the program costs, the 6 credit hours must be used towards degree attainment.  If you are not using federal aid, it is entirely up to you if you just want to take the courses for enlightenment. Always check with your advisor.


What are the eligibility requirements?

  • You must be able to register for the course as a student.

  • 2.5 or above GPA for undergraduate students.

  • 3.0 or above GPA for graduate students

  • Be in good standing with the university.


How do I apply for PTTW?


Can Freshmen participate in PTTW?

Yes.  You may participate at the end of your freshman year.


Can Seniors participate in PTTW?

You still need to be a registered student to participate in PTTW.  Students who will graduate before the summer term may not be eligible; check with the Study Abroad Coordinator for details.


Which destinations/courses are suitable for graduate students to take?

Check with the faculty leaders of each destination for specifics regarding course content.  This will determine if students at the graduate level are able to register for the course and earn credit.


Where can I get additional information?

Visit the Passport to the World page on the JSU Global website. Also, feel free to contact the Study Abroad Coordinator and/or the faculty leaders for the destination you are interested in.


Dates and Timeline

When and how long is the program?

Passport to the World takes place during the first summer term and is four weeks – two weeks on campus and two weeks abroad. Visit to see the 2019 locations


When is the deadline to apply for PTTW?

Currently we have a rolling deadline, but all $500 non-refundable deposits must be paid by January 31, 2019.


When is the deadline to pay the non-refundable deposit to hold my place on PTTW?

The deadline to pay your non-refundable deposit is January 31, 2019.


Costs and Fees

What is the cost of the program?

2019 Program Cost: TBA

Program costs include all of the following:

  • Tuition: 6 credit hours

  • Accommodations

  • All meals (in country)

  • Transportation (in country)

  • Excursions, admission fees, cultural experiences, etc

  • 24/7 Emergency Assistance

*Financial aid can be applied to the program cost; airfare not included.

How much is the non-refundable deposit?

The deposit is $500. It comes out of the total program costs.  After it is paid, the remainder of the program cost. Financial aid refunds can be used to cover the deposit – please contact the Study Abroad Coordinator for more details.

Who is responsible for airfare?

Students are responsible for airfare.

Where do I pay my non-refundable deposit and program fees?

Pay at the JSU Business Office.  You must indicate that your payment is for Passport to the World.  Keep all receipts of payment for your records.


Will I have to pay other expenses to participate?

No.  Tuition, accommodations (i.e. hotel, dorm etc), all meals in-country, excursions, site visits and co-curricular activities, 24/7 emergency care, and in-country transportation are covered by program costs. Personal expenses (i.e. souvenirs, personal shopping, etc) are your responsibility.

Are scholarships available to help cover program costs?

There are several ways students should consider for funding program costs.  See the "Funding Opportunities" page on the JSU Global website:

In addition, a great resource to find other study abroad scholarships is


Travel and Orientations

Do students have to purchase their airline tickets individually?  

JSU will purchase all airline tickets via our approved travel agency at group rates.  Students should not purchase tickets individually.


Are shots to travel to any of the locations required?

Depending on the destination, shots may be recommended but are not mandatory.


Who will accompany the students in each group?

1-2 faculty members will accompany each group.  


Will I need a visa?

It depends on the country you are traveling to and your citizenship status.  Please check with the Study Abroad Coordinator for details.


I’ve never traveled abroad before and I’m nervous.  What advice do you have?

JSU Global and your faculty-leaders will hold a series of advising and pre-departure orientation sessions to get you ready!  You will have our full support so that you will have an educational, safe, and unforgettable study abroad experience. Feel free to reach out to the Study Abroad Coordinator with any questions about traveling abroad.


I don’t speak a foreign language.  What should I do?

You don’t have to speak a foreign language to study abroad.  However, participants of PTTW who are going to a non-English speaking destination are encourage to learn a few short phrases in the native language.





General Questions

Study Abroad Coordinator