The Bachelor of University Studies, an adult degree completion program, provides adult learners with a flexible path to a bachelor’s degree and is one option for returning students to obtain degree completion through the Complete 2 Compete (C2C) Initiative. The C2C initiative, a statewide program, was developed to encourage Mississippi adults who have completed some college, but earned no degree, to return to college and finish what they started. The Bachelor of University Studies is intended to serve adult learners who have earned at least 90 credit hours but have not completed a baccalaureate degree and have not attended a post-secondary institution in the past twenty-four months based on the last date of attendance. The curriculum may be individualized for each adult learner based on their previously completed coursework and future career goals.
PROGRAM STRATEGIC GOALS
- Developing students’ ability to read, interpret, and evaluate the work of scholars in their chosen career field and design and apply research skills in the study of career-related problems.
- Communicate effectively and reason critically when confronted with workforce and societal issues.
- Decreasing time to degree for adult and nontraditional students by providing alternative degree options, modes of delivery, and adequate student services.
- Expand students’ interdisciplinary knowledge and understanding of the relationships among the areas of humanities and fine arts, natural sciences, social and behavioral science.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- SLO 1: Students will demonstrate verbal and written communication skills through writing assignments, presentation of projects, and/or job application portfolios.
- SLO 2: Students will differentiate qualitative and descriptive quantitative analyses/approaches, apply a selected approach of research, and demonstrate proficiency in the use of technology for inputting, collecting, and analyzing information and developing presentations and other forms of communication.
- SLO 3: Students will demonstrate a minimum of six leadership and ethical traits for diverse global and regional markets.
- SLO 4: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the interdisciplinary relationships among the humanities and fine arts, social and behavioral sciences, and natural sciences in response to workforce trends and societal challenges.
The Bachelor of University Studies Degree Program is open to adult learners who Qualify for the State of Mississippi’s Complete 2 Compete (C2C) program and have previously completed 90 semester hours of credits. Complete 2 Compete is a statewide program focused on encouraging Mississippi adults who have completed some college, but no degree, to return to college and complete the requirements necessary to earn their degrees.
Students must submit the following to the School of Lifelong Learning to satisfy undergraduate admission to the Bachelor of University Studies Degree Program:
- Qualify for Complete 2 Compete (C2C) Program
- A. Must apply for the Complete 2 Compete program at MSC2C.org
- B. Be at least 21 years of age,
- Have been out of college at least 24 consecutive months,
- Have not completed a baccalaureate degree, and
- Be a resident of Mississippi or an Out-of-state adult who previously attended a Mississippi public institution
- Provide all transcripts to C2C Coach showing completion of 90 semester hours of coursework.
- Admission to Jackson State University
- A completed Jackson State University official Undergraduate Admissions Application
- Official high school transcript showing graduation from a secondary school or the equivalent (GED)
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary studies
- Immunization record (if born after 1957)
- Copy of birth certificate
General Education Requirements 48
Professional Electives 12
Interdisciplinary Concentration 27
General Interdisciplinary Concentration 27
Internship and Research Project 6
Total required for Bachelor’s Degree 120