Division of Student Affairs

Service Learning FAQs for Faculty

Registered Service-Learning Faculty Checklist

  • Complete the online Course Information Form (Link will be provided by Mr. Willis)
  • Attend the mandatory Service-Learning Faculty orientations (Dates will be emailed and posted to the Service-Learning web page)
  • Attend the mandatory Service-Learning Student orientations
  • Check the site approval    
  • Provide students with registration packet and deadlines  
  • Collect and submit student Service-Learning Log-in Forms by the due date

What is the difference between Service-Learning and Community Service?

Service-Learning is curriculum-based and structured as a class requirement in which students enroll and serve the community.  It includes both a classroom and an off-campus experience with a reflective component that meets the objectives and goals set forth by the instructor and of the course. In community service, the emphasis is placed on the people being helped and the service being offered.  These are services, which are identified by an institution of higher education, through formal or informal consultation with local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations. Community Service is designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, to solve particular problems related to their needs, including such fields as health care, child care, literacy training, education welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, disaster relief, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement; among others.

What do I have to do in order to offer a service-learning course? 

Please contact the Service-Learning Coordinator, Kelli-Mae Goddard-Sobers at 601-979-6938 or @ kelli-mae.goddard-sobers@jsums.edu

What information must I submit at the beginning of every semester to The Alice Varnado Harden Center for Service and Community Engaged Learning?

  • Notification that you are utilizing Service-Learning for the semester
  • Submission of the Service-Learning Course Enrollment Form (Only if changes are made to the course syllabus)
  • Complete the Course Information Form (Online)                                                                                                                                                           


Sping 2020 Approved Partner List

Online Site Agreement Packet

Service Learning Course Enrollment Form