The duties of the Radiation Safety Committee are as follows:
- Administers the University's broad scope radioactive materials license; approves users of radioactive materials;
- Reviews and evaluates all proposed uses of radioactive materials, complimented by the assistance of the Radiation Safety Officer;
- Develops and submits recommendations pertaining to the Radiation Manual, use of radioactive materials consistent with applicable state and federal regulations;
- Serves as an advisory body to users of x-ray devices and other radiation emitting machines used on campus;
- Serves as an advisory body to campus researchers on chemical and other laboratory safety matters; and
- Determines appropriate procedures or precautions consistent with relevant standards for safety issues.
All uses of radioactive materials via research activities shall be reviewed by this committee prior to applying for the appropriate state or federal license. The committee shall also be responsible for any manuals, procedures, internal inspection(s), and related activities associated with best practices for managing a successful radioactive safety program.