The Jackson State University Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations fosters opportunities for alumni with shared interests and common bonds to connect to JSU and each other. Affinity groups operate as clubs and are formed in two ways:
- A group of JSU alumni take the initiative; or
- The Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations takes the initial steps to form a group and then seeks alumni volunteers.
Specifically, affinity groups:
- Create a medium through which alumni can reconnect with each other around shared experiences and interests;
- Increase opportunities for alumni to get involved and meet other JSU alumni;
- Promote leadership;
- Foster a sense of community within the alumni population; and
- Provide financial contributions to the University.
There must be at least ten alumni who have demonstrated an interest in establishing and maintaining the group. All alumni groups must have a written mission statement outlining the purpose for its existence. Each group’s purpose must be aligned with the general mission of the Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations.
Steps to Form a Group:
- Initial Request to the Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations
- Follow-up Meeting
- Submission of Required Materials
Once all materials are received, the Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations will review the documents. If approved, the affinity group will be listed on the alumni relations’ home page.
Alumni who are interested in joining an affinity group or starting a new group should contact the JSU Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations at (601) 979-2281.
Existing Affinity Groups at Jackson State University:
- Sonic Boom Alumni Association
- Jackson State University Retirees Association (JSURA)
- Our C.H.E.E.R
- JSU Travelers
- JSU Player's Association