So you’re interested in starting an Alumni Chapter or Affinity Group? The purpose of an Alumni Chapter or Affinity Group is to foster a spirit of loyalty and to promote the general welfare of JSUNAA and the University. The Alumni Chapter or Affinity Group exists to support the parent organization’s goals, and to strengthen the ties between alumni, the community, and the parent organization.
The Alumni Chapter or Affinity Group:
- Creates a medium through which alumni can reconnect with each other around shared experiences, interests or geographical location;
- Increases opportunities for alumni to get involved and meet other JSU alumni;
- Promotes leadership;
- Fosters a sense of community within the alumni population; and provides financial contributions to the University.
Chapters are created by Jackson State University alumni and friends in specific geographic areas to share their pride and to meet other Jacksonians living in their area. Chapters are official recognized and approved local governing entities that operate under the JSUNAA Constitution and Bylaws in the respective geographical regions.
Sample Alumni Chapters
- Chicago Area Chapter
- Greater Washington, DC Area Chapter
- Houston Area Chapter
- Jackson-Hinds Chapter
- Los Angeles Chapter
- Metro Atlanta Chapter
An affinity group is a group formed by Jackson State University alumni and friends around a shared interest or common goal. Affinity Groups are official recognized and approved local governing entities that operate under the JSUNAA Constitution and Bylaws in the respective area of interest.
Sample Affinity Groups
- Sonic Boom Alumni Association
- JSU Alumni Players Association
There are several steps in starting an Alumni Chapter or Affinity Group for The Jackson State University National Alumni Association, Inc.
- Contact Department of Alumni and Constituency Relations at 601-979-2281
- Determine Feasibility
- Organize Informational Meeting
- Understand Requirements
- Identify Potential Membership
- Elect Leadership
- Complete Charter Application Package
- Submit Charter Application Package And Fees
- Review Process For Charter Application Package
- Conduct Chapter Installation Ceremony
Note: A moratorium has been placed on all Charter Application requests until July 1, 2015