Frequently Asked Questions – Prospective Students

Prospective Students

What should I do if I need to defer my application for one year?

An admission decision is  valid for 12 months. Thereafter, the applicant should contact Graduate Admissions for readmission.

How long will the Graduate School keep my admission file?

The Graduate School will keep your file for one academic year only. If you would like your admission file retained for another year, please email immediately.

What are the department requirements?

All students should contact the department for departmental requirements or visit:

What application materials are required by the Graduate School?

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all admission documents are received in the Division of Graduate Studies on or before the application deadline.  All credentials submitted on behalf of an applicant become the property of the University and may be maintained for up to one year.  Materials from applicants who do not submit all requested material may be shredded and discarded after one year.

All required information MUST be received by the following deadlines.   Required information includes:

1.     Application    
2.     Official Transcripts from all accredited colleges and    universities attended.
3.    Proof of immunization for measles, mumps and rubella 
4.    Application Fee, if applicable.
5.    Departmental/program documentations and test scores.
6.    Official TOEFL or IELTS score and financial support documentation for international applicants.

What if I want to apply to more than one degree program?

Students are allowed to apply to more than one degree program.

What are your application deadlines?

Please visit our website at Student should also read departmental instructions carefully to determine department application deadlines. If you are an applicant living outside the U.S., you should complete application requirements before the deadline specified by the graduate program to ensure sufficient time for graduate admission review.

General Application Deadlines
       Fall  =  March 1
    Summer  =  March 15
    Spring  =  October 15

Applications received after the enrollment deadline for the desired enrollment period will be processed for the next enrollment period. Selected academic programs only admit 

Am I an international applicant?

You are an international applicant if you are NOT U.S. citizen, immigrant or green card holder. International students should contact the Office of Global Academic Diversity at 601-979-1611.

What is your application fee and how do I pay?

The application fee is $25.00 for out-of-state resident. It should be mailed P O Box 17095, Jackson MS 39207.   It should be in the form of a money order or check. The application fee cannot be waived or postponed.

What is non-degree seeking status?

Students may be granted special admission to earn certification, update professional skills, earn transfer credit, or to attend a workshop. Only selected graduate courses are available. Applicants for non-degree status file only:

1.     Application for Admission and Non-degree Enrollment Forms.
2.    Transcript(s) direct from college(s) to the Graduate Admission Office with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 at the undergraduate level (on 4.0 scale).

Non-degree students who may wish to earn a degree at a later date must meet all admissions (regular or conditional) criteria as listed above and have a 3.00 average for any graduate courses completed as a non-degree seeking student.

Students previously registered as non-degree students in the Division of Graduate Studies should note that work taken in this category is treated as transfer credit if the student is later admitted to a degree program.  A maximum of twelve (12) semester hours may be transferred to a graduate degree program from non-degree status subject to approval by the department chairperson and the Dean of the Graduate School.

How do I apply to your Graduate School?

Students can apply in the graduate office or at

International Academic Credentials (Transcripts)

What is required when sending my international transcripts?

Send international transcripts with degree statement, including date of graduation and title of academic degree awarded. All coursework with grades issued for each year completed must be submitted for proper evaluation. All international records are considered official if they have been certified or attested and must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal, complete versions of original records, and the documents must be translated by a university, a government official, or an official translation service. You cannot do your own translation. 

The Graduate School accepts the following documentation of international credentials and degree certificates:

  • Original academic credentials issued by the registrar of the institution attended, bearing the original raised or colored seal of the institution and the signature of your institution's registrar or academic official.
  • Photocopies of academic credentials that have been certified by a recognized international education organization—such as the U.S. Educational Foundation, AMIDEAST, LASPAU, the Institute for International Education-(IIE), Education USA, U.S. Educational Foundation in India (USEFI), Fulbright agency or American Translators Association located in the U.S. (Note: Faxed or photocopies certified by a U.S. notary public are not official.)

In some circumstances, we will accept exact copies duly certified as such by the Registrar of a regionally accredited institution in the United States previously attended by the applicant. Such copies must be sent directly from the U.S. institution in a sealed envelope.

What if I attended a school in the U.S. or Canada?

Ask the registrar to mail official transcripts in a sealed envelope to the Graduate School.

Required Tests

Do you require TOEFL or any other English examination?

All applicants to Jackson State University must show proof of English Language proficiency.  For international students, this is most commonly demonstrated through the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the IELTS.  However, JSU accepts additional methods of determining English Proficiency.

Conditional admission to Jackson State University may be granted to international students with a stipulation of successfully completing all levels of English study at the English as a Second Language Institute (ESLI) of the Division of International Studies

Do you require GRE test?

Please check departmental requirements carefully to determine what, if any, test scores are required.


How am I notified of a decision on my application?

Once the Division of Graduate Studies receives a recommendation from the department and the College Dean or designee, applicants are notified by the Graduate Dean of the decision to admit, conditionally admit, or deny. An admission decision is  valid for 12 months. Thereafter, the applicant should contact Graduate Admissions for readmission. 

What happens after I’ve received the formal letter of admission?

Once a letter of admission has been received, student should contact the department  for the initial advising session and to complete registration.