It is the mission of the Department of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness at Jackson State University “to effectively collect, analyze, and disseminate data and information in support of operation management and decision-making, and to support the tactical and strategic planning processes at the University.”
To fulfill this mission, the Department of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness (IRPE) accepts the following major roles for the institution:
· Serves as the University’s clearinghouse for all external reports. This includes reports to the Board of Trustees for Institutions of Higher Learning for the State of Mississippi, regular reports to the Federal Government, and special requests such as those demanded by SACS for information about the institution, which may be directed to the President or other officers of the University.
· Services Jackson State University’s linkages with various peer groups by maintaining sound working relationships with institutional researchers and planners at other institutions and by exchanging data of mutual interest.
· Serves as the principal source for data and information which support institutional planning, policy formation, communication, and decision-making.
· Serves to describe, classify and analyze data which provide pertinent information for administrative decision-making, institutional planning, management, and evaluation processes.
· Responsible for monitoring campus-wide planning activities which are in place at the University. Serves as a data archival facility for planning documents and other materials relevant to the University’s long-range and tactical planning processes.
· Maintains an inventory of information sources useful in explaining the mission and achievements of the University.
· Data and reports routinely produced by the Office of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness include, but are not limited to:
The planning and decision support ability of the office are unique in several ways: (1) access to data and information across functional areas; (2) understanding of the data, information, and decision making needs of the University's administration, and (3) the technical and analytical skills of the staff that enable them to deliver relevant information. By integrating external data reporting requirements with internal decision support activities, IRPE has increased the value of University data in both functions. The Office of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness abilities to use and present data help extend the data into useful and relevant information utilized by University stakeholders. This methodology is reinforced by staff involvement in many of the major operational processes of Jackson State University, including budgeting, strategic planning, and University retention initiatives.