It is the mission of the Department of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness at Jackson State University “to effectively collect, analyze, and disseminate data and information in support of operation management and decision-making, and to support the tactical and strategic planning processes at the University.”
To fulfill this mission, the Department of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness (IRPE) accepts the following major roles for the institution:
· Serves as the University’s clearinghouse for all external reports. This includes reports to the Board of Trustees for Institutions of Higher Learning for the State of Mississippi, regular reports to the Federal Government, and special requests, such as those demanded by SACS, for information about the institution, which may be directed to the President or other officers of the University.
· Collects, stores and analyzes data, performing key studies, securing and providing relevant management information, coordinating and sharing data and by serving as the official institutional source for data and analytical information about the University.
· Services Jackson State University’s linkages with various peer groups by maintaining sound working relationships with institutional researchers and planners at other institutions and by exchanging data of mutual interest.
· Serves as a principal source for data and informational which support institutional planning, policy formation, communication, and decision-making.
· Serves to describe, classify and analyze data which provide pertinent information for administrative decision-making, institutional planning, management, and evaluation processes.
· Responsible for monitoring the campus-wide planning activities which are in place at the University. Serves as a data archival facility for planning documents and other materials relevant to the University’s long-range and tactical planning processes.
· Maintains an inventory of information sources useful in explaining the mission and achievements of the University.
· Data and reports routinely produced by this Office include, but are not limited to:
· Entering student opinion surveys and analyses;
· Faculty/staff surveys and analyses;
· Retention/attrition and graduation rate studies;
· Student demographics studies;
· Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) surveys of Salaries, Finance,
Faculty and Student enrollment.
The planning and decision support ability of the office are unique in several ways: (1) access to data and information across functional areas; (2) understanding of the data, information, and decision making needs of the University administrations, and (3) the technical and analytical skills of the staff that enable it to deliver relevant information. By integrating external data reporting requirements with internal decision support activities, IRPE has increased the value of University data of both functions. Department of Institutional Research, Planning, and Effectiveness’ ability in the use and presentation of data also help extend the data into useful and relevant information. This methodology is reinforced by staff involvement in many of the major operational processes of Jackson State University, including budgeting, strategic planning, and University retention initiatives.