President Carolyn Meyers delivered a highly motivational keynote address at the NSF-ADVANCE PI meeting in the Fall of 2011.
The JSUAdvance Team developed and administered a Climate and Culture Survey. This is one of few studies to study the process of organizational change and transformation at an HBCU, over a period of multiple years, using a variety of quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
Dr. Carolyn Winstead Meyers is the tenth President of Jaskcon State University, and she is our first female President.
Inauguration events was held March 28-30, 2012.
Click here to read about the inauguration events.
April 13th, 2012 by qpang
We are accepting applications for JSUAdvance Pathways – Leadership for the Future.
The deadline for submission is Friday, May 4, 2012.
Click here to apply for JSUAdvance Pathways 2012!
March 21st, 2012 by qpang
We are accepting applications for International Travel.
The deadline for submission is Friday, March 30, 2012.
Selected applicants will be notified by April 4, 2012 and must accept by April 6, 2012.
Click here to apply for International Travel!
March 21st, 2012 by qpang
We are accepting applications for summer writing retreat.
The deadline for submission is Friday, March 30, 2012.
Selected applicants will be notified by April 6, 2012 and must accept by April 10, 2012.
Click here to apply for summer writing retreat!
JSUAdvance Project Director Job Description
PROJECT DIRECTOR (Temporary/Full-Time), JSUAdvance; SALARY -$55,000 – $60,000 per annum. QUALIFICATIONS: Applicant must have a Master’s degree and at least three (3) to five (5) years of related experience; Project management experience is preferred; Must have strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; Applicant must have proficient knowledge of computer systems and applications, as well as mastery of communication via e-mail and other electronic programs such as video conferencing; Must have mastery of all Microsoft Office Software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc; Applicant must have proficient accounting knowledge and experience managing budgets and financial reports using spreadsheets; Must have experience working with confidential information and have an understanding of the discretion and judgment necessary for handling such information; Applicant must have initiative and the ability to accurately complete tasks on time, requiring little supervision; Must be a quick learner willing to ask questions when needed and learn new information.
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
The required educational qualification is a Master’s degree; however, a Ph.D. is preferred. Three to five years of related experience is required in a relevant discipline, which includes but is not limited to Sociology, Psychology, Education, Engineering, Computer Science, Physical or Biological Sciences, or Mathematics.
- Internal and external interactions are primary to this position; therefore, strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills are required. The successful applicant will have proficient knowledge of computer systems and applications, as well as mastery of communication via email and other electronic programs (i.e. video conferencing). Mastery of all Microsoft office products is required (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Proficient Accounting knowledge is required and experience managing budgets and financial reports using spreadsheets should be evident. Experience working with confidential information is required, and an understanding of the discretion and judgment necessary for handling such information.
- This position requires initiative and the ability to accurately complete tasks on time, requiring little supervision; however, the individual should be a quick study, willing to ask questions when needed, and learn new information.
Manage the day-to-day implementation of the work plan for the grant and ensure it is on track to achieve specified goals and objectives;
- Plan and coordinate all meetings and events associated with the project. Plan and coordinate recruitment and professional development activities in collaboration with the Leadership Team and Advance Scholars. Coordinate all aspects of workshops, advisory group and event planning. This may include but is not limited to negotiating with vendors and caterers, scheduling conference rooms, setting up requirements, and making audio/visual arrangements. Follow directions of the PI to coordinate
speakers for various events and make travel arrangements.
- Establish and maintain efficient and effective information systems and means of communicating and disseminating information to all project stakeholders. Supervise the Advance web site and ensure that all materials are appropriate, current, and approved by the PI and/or Committee Chair. Periodically run quality assurance to ensure that all content is accurate, functional and working as required.
- Ensure that compliance with all University policies and procedures, and all National Science Foundation regulations, policies and procedures is maintained.
- Develop efficient and effective means of acquiring, compiling, analyzing and managing various types of data from multiple sources. Ensure timely collection and assessment of evaluation data.
- Maintain and organize all files, correspondence, and fiscal records.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with the Advance grant and implement systems to ensure that all fiscal commitments associated with the grant are met in a timely manner and approved by the JSU Office of Research. Oversee the fiscal processing of Advance expenditures, perform monthly reconciliation, and maintain monthly budget sheets.
- Produce monthly progress reports for the Principal Investigator; assist in the preparation of annual and quarterly reports for the National Science Foundation.
- Work in conjunction with the PI, the Advance Leadership Team, and the Internal Advisory Board to ensure the goals of the program are accomplished. Develop and nurture productive relationships with various units on campus to facilitate achievement of Advance goals including but not limited to Human Resources, Office of Institutional Research, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, Office of Academic Affairs, and all Academic Departments and Colleges. Work with support personnel, such as an Administrative Assistant, Data Manager, Internal Evaluator, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigator that may emerge as this new program matures. This may also require a reallocation of time and a change in responsibilities.
Below is the link for individuals to apply.
will be available online soon on each program’s webpage.
January 31st, 2012 by qpang
The Bias Prevention Component held a workshop called “The Academic Woman: Balancing Responsibilities, Expectations, and Biases” on December 10, 2011 at the E-Center. The workshop formed three focus groups to address the perceptions and realities of gender bias for single female faculty, married/partnered female faculty, and the spouses/partners of the female faculty, and developed a baseline for the development of bias prevention training on the campus of Jackson State University. This workshop particularly addressed the unique issues of work/life balance for academic women of color by exploring the unique relationship dynamics between STEM and SBS women of color faculty members and their spouses/partners.
November 11th, 2011 by qpang
The JSUAdvance 2011 International Travel Team consisted of Dr. Loretta Moore, Chair and Professor of Computer Science and JSUAdvance PI at Jackson State University; Dr. Jessica L. Buck, Assistant Professor of Technology at Jackson State University; Mrs. Frances Dancer, JSUAdvance Program Director and Computer Science Researcher at Jackson State University, and Dr. Carolyn Howard, Associate Professor of Biology at Jackson State University. The JSUAdvance International Travel Team traveled to India to establish visibility internationally by highlighting the research of each member individually while visiting institutions in Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Delhi, India from June 23, 2011 through July 3, 2011. One of the goals for each team member was to share their research expertise in order to promote collaborations with international colleagues in respective STEM fields. The overall mission was to create meaningful partnerships that will assist the participants efforts in pursuing their professional endeavors. The Team visited the following institutions: Bangalore- Peoples Education Society; Chennai-B. S. Abdur Rahman University and Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering and Technology; Hyderabad- Gitam University, Administrative Staff College, and Vignan University, and Delhi-International Institute of Health Management Research. The team will also implement follow-up activities to further encourage the collaboration efforts.