Human Resource Development (HRD) is a dynamic multidisciplinary profession that combines training and development, organization development, and career development efforts for the purpose of improving individual, team and organizational performance. This profession is projected to grow at the rate of 14% by the year 2020, the average rate of other growing professions (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2012). It is one of the few professions that provide job opportunities across all industries and sectors, locally and globally.
If you enjoy working with people and are excited about how learning at work can improve job performance, then this concentration may be what you need for a fulfilling career. In compliance with the demands of the changing workplace, this concentration provides students with opportunities to develop the following skills and competences:
- Instructional design – Assess organizational learning needs and develop instructional media
- Training delivery – Improve communication and facilitation skills
- Training evaluation – Assess effectiveness of learning programs
- Learning program management – Oversee learning activities in organizations
- Change management – Facilitate and manage organizational change
- Performance improvement – Address skill performance gaps
- Career management – Provide career guidance and development
If you are interested in joining the HRD concentration, please see the attached file “Application package” for more details regarding this newly developed program. The application packet outlines the HRD program including course and job information. Please talk to your advisor if you are interested in taking HRD as your concentration.