Division of Student Affairs

Service-Learning FAQs for Students

What is the difference between Service-Learning and Community Service?

Service-Learning is curriculum-based and structured as a class requirement in which students enroll and serve the community.  It includes both a classroom and an off-campus experience with a reflective component and meets the objectives and goals set forth by the instructor/course. In community service, the emphasis is placed on the people being helped and the service being offered.  These are services, which are identified by an institution of higher education, through formal or informal consultation with local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations. Community Service is designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, to solve particular problems related to their needs, including such fields as health care, child care, literacy training, education welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, disaster relief, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement; among others.

What is the student requirement for Service-Learning?

All students are required to attend or complete an orientation prior to starting the service experience. Service-Learning Orientations (for students) are schedule in the Jacob L. Reddix Hall 2nd floor (General Purpose Room). All students are required to complete a Service-Learning Registration Packet, which includes the Service-Learning Registration Form, Forgery Statement, Student Liability Release Form/Agreement, and a Professional Guideline Form, (for each semester a packet must be completed before enrolling in a Service-Learning course).

What should I do if I miss the orientation?

If you miss the orientation you should contact the Service-Learning Coordinator, Scottie Willis at 601-979-1761 or scottie.willis@jsums.edu.

Do I have to complete Service-Learning if I have already met the Graduation Service requirement?

Yes, even if you have completed the Graduation Service Requirement, if your professor requires Service-Learning hours for his/her course, you must complete the additional hours.

If I am enrolled in two (2) different courses at the same time that require Service-Learning hours, can I use the same worked hours twice?

No, each course requires a different set of hours.

Can I get paid while I am earning Service-Learning hours?


Can a Service-Learning site be a for-profit or non-profit site?

Yes, Service-Learning hours can be acquired at a for-profit or non-profit site upon prior approval of the site.

Where can I find a list of approved sites?

For a list of currently approved agencies, go to: http://www.jsums.edu/studentlife/community-service, scroll down to Student Resources and click on the Fall '18 Agency/Partner List

What are the steps to get a new site approved?

For sites not listed on our approved agency list, stop by The Alice Varnado Harden Center for Service and Community Engaged Learning located in Jacob L. Reddix Hall, Suite 110, or download a copy of the Site Agreement Packet.  These forms must be completed by the Community Partner and approved by our office before the service experience begins.  The site/agency supervisor must provide our office with the following information:

·         Completed JSU Site Agreement Form

·         Completed JSU Request for Service Form

·         Copy of 947 Form (IRS Award Letter); if agency is a non-profit

·         ‘Letter of Need’ on official agency letterhead, which includes a brief description of your agency and the expected duties of the students; use only if an agency is a for-profit entity, school/department, etc.

Once our office has received the returned forms, a staff member from The Alice Varnado Harden Center for Service & Community Engaged Learning will notify the community agency and the student of approval or rejection.  If the site meets all requirements for approval, The Alice Varnado Harden Center for Service & Community Engaged Learning for Service will add the community partner to the following semester’s approved Agency List.

**A completed Site Agreement Packet will include three documents: (1) Site Agreement Form (2) Request for Service Form (3) 947 IRS Form or ‘Letter of Need’.  Please note that all forms must be mailed to our office or hand delivered, as we need original signatures.  The site approval process normally takes between 3-5 business days. NO INCOMPLETE PACKETS WILL BE ACCEPTED!

How to submit your Service-Learning Log-in form.

All forms should be submitted to your professor before the set deadline. Your professor will submit all forms to the Faculty Liaison in The Alice Varnado Harden Center for Service & Community Engaged Learning.

What will NOT be accepted on the Service Learning Form?

Pictures of forms, faxed forms, electronic signatures, and forms not signed by the student.

How do I check my Service-Learning hours?

Step 1: Log into your P.A.W.S. account; Step 2:  "Click" Student Records; Step 3: "Click" Academic Transcript; and Step 4:  "Click" Transcript Levels, scroll down to Community Service, press "Submit."



Fall '18 Agency/Partner List

Service Learning Registration Packet Fall2018

Service Learning Log-in form Fall 2018