Department of Mathematics & Statistical Sciences
College of Science, Engineering, and Technology
The Department of Mathematics &Statistical Sciences offers programs leading to bachelor’s degrees in mathematics, statistics, secondary mathematics teaching. We also offer graduate programs leading to master’s degrees in mathematics, the teaching of mathematics and a doctorate with concentration in computational mathematics and statistical sciences and award scholarships and provide financial support to our top students.
The Department offers a doctoral degree program with a concentration in computational mathematics and statistical sciences through the College of Science, Engineering and Technology’s Ph.D. program in Computational Data-Enabled Sciences and Engineering (CDS&E). The Department also offers programs leading to the MST degree in mathematics designed for persons who wish additional preparation for mathematics teaching or mathematics supervision and the MS degree in Pure or Applied Mathematics for students who seek careers in academia, government, industry or the business sector. The programs are designed for persons with adequate background in undergraduate mathematics beyond the calculus sequence.
- The applicant must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a STEM field, or other academic fields with adequate computational and quantitative background, and
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) on the highest degree earned.
- A satisfactory TOEFL score for international students whose native language is not English.
- Three letters of recommendation from three professors knowledgeable of the applicant’s academic ability.
- An official score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- A statement of purpose
- Common Core = 12 credit hours
- Track Requirement = 12 credit hours
- Track electives = 24 credit hours
- Dissertation = 24 credit hours
- 15 hrs of mathematics above calculus sequence
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Admissions into JSU Graduate Studies (see MS PROGRAM
SAME AS MST (see above)
One of three options
- 36 credit hours including a 6-hr thesis or 36 credit hrs including a 3 hr project, or 36 credit hrs of course work with an exit exam.
- Maintain “B” average
- Pass Graduate English Competency Exam
¨Departmental Teaching Assistantships
* Includes tuition waivers and stipends
Office of Graduate Studies
* Offer tuition waivers
Bridge to Doctorate Program
* For students intending to pursue Ph.D.
* Generous stipends available
DEPARTMENTAL RESEARCH INTERESTS:
Applied Mathematics, Biomathematics, Representation Theory, Differential Geometry, Differential Equations, Computational Mathematics, CDS&E, Mathematics Education, Operator Theory on abstract spaces, Probability and Statistics, Algebraic and Geometric Topology…and many more!
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The programs we offer in the Department of Mathematics and statistical Sciences are comprehensive and will lead you to great career opportunities. If you join us you will grow to be a sophisticated mathematician or statistician. We acquaint you with the diverse areas of mathematics and statistics. You will discover the joy of learning mathematics or statistics. You will become a scholar. You will learn the beauty of both mathematics and statistics as an art. As you go through this site, you will discover our academic programs and our supporting activities.
We are in the College of Science, Engineering, and Technology and our students work with faculty and students from many other departments. We have a highly qualified, caring, and dedicated faculty, who will train you to become the best mathematician or statistician you can be. The doctoral degree program with a concentration in computational mathematics and statistical sciences is through the College of Science, Engineering and Technology’s Ph.D. program in Computational Data-Enabled Sciences and Engineering (CDS&E). As a mathematician or statistician you can have careers in medical and pharmaceutical companies, high tech industries, and Wall Street Market trading and the doctorate prepares you for careers outside as well as within the academic setting. Mathematics and statistics are both challenging and interesting fields that almost all academic and professional fields depend on. To succeed, you will have to work hard and study diligently. We know you can do it and we are ready to help you. We urge you to come to Jackson State University and choose a major in the Department of Mathematics and Statistical Sciences.</span></p>
Math majors have a plethora of career options after studying:
|Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting||Hydrologist||Actuarial Analyst||Mathematics Teacher|
|Actuary, Model Risk & Governance||Legal Specialist||Quantitative Trading Strategy Analyst||Sports Statistician|
|Actuary||Biostatistician||Mathematical Statistician||Data Scientist – Statistician|
READY TO JOIN?
For more information, please contact us at (601) 979-2161 or submit your questions and requests to email@example.com. We look forward to meeting with you and seeing how our program can help you achieve your goals.