Jackson State University, a four-year public university, is one of the largest institutions of higher learning in Mississippi and designated by the Carnegie Foundation as a research-intensive university. JSU offers more than 90 bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees ranging from Art to Urban Studies.
Set over 175 acres and three off-site support The Madison, Miss., site offers undergraduate and
facilities, the main campus is located in west graduate courses in Business, Education, Health
Jackson, the state capitol of Mississippi. Care and more. .
- Founded in 1877
- Known as Natchez Seminary
- Established to educate newly freed African Americans to become ministers and teachers
- Over 9,000 students enrolled
- Coeducational institution supported by state legislative appropriations, student fees, and private grants.
Top 5 Majors
- Elementary Education
- Criminal Justice
- Professional Interdisciplinary Studies
- Social Work
- Student/ Faculty ratio = 19:1
- Hands-on academic advisors
- World-renowned teachers, researchers, and faculty members
- Leaders in the community
JSU provides experiences that support success both inside and outside the classroom. These include:
- Visiting student scholar programs
- Academic and social activities
- Job counseling
- Study abroad programs
- Clubs & Organizations: 100+ which include 22 Honor Societies and 9 Greek letter Fraternities and Sororities
- Student government
- Community service opportunities
- Student publications
- NCAA sanctioned athletic programs
- Intramural sports
- Grants offered: Yes (Priority Deadline April 15 each year).
- Loans offered: Yes
- Scholarships offered: Yes (Priority deadline February 15 each year).
These fees are subject to change without prior notification and includes tuition, room and board.