Campus Setting and Location: The main campus is located in west Jackson, the state capitol of Mississippi. Set on over 175 acres and three off-site support facilities. Jackson State University is a public four year university.
History: Founded in 1877, Jackson State University, then known as Natchez Seminary, was established to educate newly freed African Americans to become ministers and teachers. Today, Jackson State University is Mississippi's "Urban University" boasting a student population of 8,800+. It is a coeducational institution, supported by state legislative appropriations, student fees, and private grants.
Academic Overview: Designated by the Carnegie Mellon Foundation as a research-intensive university, JSU offers more than 90 bachelor’s, master's, and doctoral degree programs ranging from Art to Urban Studies.
Jackson State University's instructional program is comprised of highly qualified faculty members who teach, research, and embrace community service. They also serve as academic advisors.
Top 5 Majors:
- Elementary Education
- Criminal Justice
- Professional Interdisciplinary Studies
- Social Work
The student/faculty ratio is approximately 19:1. Academic programs offer summer programs for high school students, distance learning courses, the Honors College, and multidisciplinary research centers.
Student Life: JSU provides experiences that support success both inside and outside the classroom. These include:
- Visiting student scholar programs
- Academic and social activities
- Job counseling
- Study abroad programs
- Clubs & Organizations: 100+ which include 22 Honor Societies and 9 Greek letter Fraternities and Sororities
- Student government
- Clubs and organizations
- Community service opportunities
- Student publications
- Greek letter fraternities and sororities
- NCAA sanctioned athletic programs
- Intramural sports
- Recreational activities.
- In-state-$13,060.00 (includes tuition, room & board)
- Out-of-state: $21,748.00 (includes tuition, out-of-state fees, room, & board).
- (Subject to change without prior notification.)
- Grants offered: Yes (Priority Deadline April 15 each year).
- Loans offered: Yes
- Scholarships offered: Yes (Priority deadline February 15 each year).
Department of Undergraduate Recruitment Contact Information:
(601) 979-5845 or Toll Free (800) 848-6817
Website at www.jsums.edu