Established in 2003, the Center for University Scholars promotes the thoughtful integration of teaching, learning and inquiry among faculty at Jackson State University. It is committed to cultivating faculty excellence in scholarship and teaching, to fostering intellectual and trans-disciplinary dialogue and to nurturing the next generation of world-class scholars. The Center's operational goals are the dissemination of scholarship in peer-reviewed publications, juried exhibition and presentation at national conferences; assists faculty in submitting competitive grant proposals; encourages faculty-student research collaborations; and provides space for discussions of best practices in research and teaching.
The Center for University Scholars administers the following programs and activities:
- * The Academy for Research & Scholarly Engagement, a year-long program that utilizes workshops, self-paced online instruction and coaching to help faculty produce competitive external grant proposals.
- * The Faculty Engagement & Advancement Program, a year-long series of faculty development workshops and discussions designed to expand faculty capabilities and to foster career advancement.
- * ScholarsWrite, an integrated program of writing accountability groups, peer review teams and mini writing retreats focused on academic writing.
- * Teaching Tuesdays Faculty Spotlights, a lecture series that highlights innovative teaching practices and pedagogical inquiry by award-winning and college-nominated faculty.
- * Support for faculty to travel to present research at academic and professional conferences.
- * Competitive awards to faculty of graduate research assistantships.
Physical Location: H.T. Sampson Library, Suite 4108 (Fourth Floor)
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 17091, Jackson State University, Jackson, MS 39217
Tel: (601) 979-6949
Fax: (601) 979-6950
Kenya A. Hudson, Web Content Editor
JSU Center for University Scholars
Tel: (601) 979-0691