Department of Accounting, Finance, and Entrepreneurship
College of Business
The Department of Accounting offers the BBA degree with a major in accounting. Also, we work with the College of Business Graduate Business Studies to offer the Master of Professional Accountancy (MPA) and the PHD in Business with a concentration in Accounting.
The Jackson State University Accounting Society is a student-run organization that is open to all students in the College of Business. We seek to unite those who have similar interests in the accounting field, provide them with experiences that will expand their knowledge about the accounting profession, and enhance their ability to make sound decisions about their career path. We are committed to academic and professional excellence, civic responsibility, and enhancing the opportunities of those entering the accounting profession. The Accounting Society is well aware of the many issues facing students interested in the field of accounting and is working to institute programs that will address several of these issues.
- The Society will place emphasis on competency and will work with freshmen, sophomores and other interested students to gain greater insights into what it means to be an accountant. This will be accomplished, in part, by sending student delegates to National Association of Black Accountants’ conferences and by sponsoring Mixers that feature accounting professionals.
- The Society will assist junior and senior level students in obtaining opportunities to enter internships, co-ops, and full-time employment.
- The Society will promote professional development among all members by sponsoring resume clinics and workshops.
- The Society will encourage more minorities to enter the field of accounting by recruiting at area high schools.
- The Society will work diligently with the Department of Accounting in increasing the retention rate of accounting majors through tutoring and mentoring programs.
- The Society will strive to develop meaningful relationships with the community by rendering both, accounting and non-accounting services. One means of accomplishing these goals will come from working with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and other non-profit agencies.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
REAL WORLD EXPERTS
The College of Business’ accounting degree is a specialized academic program that provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in the field of accounting. Generally, our bachelor’s degree program in accounting takes four years to complete and covers a wide range of topics related to financial management, analysis, and reporting. The curriculum for an accounting degree typically includes courses in financial accounting, managerial accounting, auditing, taxation, and information systems.
Our finance degree is a specialized academic program that focuses on the principles and practices of financial management. This degree typically takes four years to complete and provides students with a comprehensive understanding of financial systems, investment strategies, and risk management. The curriculum for a finance degree covers a wide range of topics, including financial accounting, corporate finance, investment analysis, financial markets, and international finance. Students also take courses in economics, mathematics, and statistics to gain a better understanding of the broader economic environment.
We also offer an entrepreneurship degree program which is a specialized academic program that provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to start and grow a business. The degree generally takes four years to complete and covers a wide range of topics related to entrepreneurship, including business planning, marketing, finance, and innovation.The curriculum for an entrepreneurship degree focuses on developing the skills needed to create and manage a successful business. Students learn about market research, customer analysis, product development, and strategic planning. They also learn about the legal and financial aspects of running a business, including accounting, taxation, and risk management.
LEARN BY DOING
In addition to classroom instruction, accounting, finance, and entrepreneurship degree programs often provide opportunities for hands-on learning through internships, co-op programs, experiential learning projects, and case studies. These experiences allow students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to real-world business situations, helping them to develop practical skills and gain valuable experience.
“Challenging Minds, Changing Lives.”
APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Graduates of our accounting, finance, and entrepreneurship degree programs are well-prepared for a variety of career paths, including public accounting, corporate accounting, risk management, investment banking, and more. Our entrepreneurship degree program produces quality graduates that are ready to pursue careers as entrepreneurs, small business owners, or managers in startups and established businesses.
|Public Accounting||Corporate Financial Reporting||Internal Audit||Audit Agencies|
|Internal Revenue||FDIC||FBI||State Tax|
We seek to unite those who have similar interests in the accounting field, provide them with experiences that will expand their knowledge about the accounting profession, and enhance their ability to make sound decisions about their career path..
Want to learn more? Click below to view our organization.
READY TO JOIN?
For more information, please contact us at (601) 979-2411. We look forward to meeting with you and seeing how our program can help you achieve your goals.
DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTING, FINANCE, AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP