Department of English, Foreign Languages and Speech Communications
College of Liberal Arts
A major in English or a modern foreign language is the “Swiss army knife” of majors. Excellent communication skills are but one bonus that comes from studying language and literature.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
More about us
The department of English, Foreign Languages, & Speech Communication at Jackson State
University is a unified, multidisciplinary marketplace of ideas committed to creating a more
equitable global society that supports diverse cultural experiences, fosters professionalism, and
honest academic integrity and responsibility. It is our goal to foster independent, innovative, and
ethical leaders who take initiative to make decisions and solve problems in their communities.
LEARN BY DOING
The area of English at Jackson State University has established the following major objectives:
• To help students develop the ability to read, think, and write clearly and critically.
• To help students understand and appreciate good writing and literature.
• To help students become aware of the truth, beauty, and wisdom of our culture to the
extent that they are able to make value judgments about the society in which they live.
• To prepare students for teaching English and for other careers that require critical
thinking, cultural awareness, and clear writing.
• To provide the necessary courses for all students to fulfill state and university
• To encourage students to engage in creative and scholarly writing.
“Challenging Minds, Changing Lives.”
APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE
• Students will be able to draw on relevant cultural and historical information to analyze
and interpret a literary text.
• Students will be able to demonstrate familiarity with literary traditions pre- and post1800, including identifying authors, genres, literary movements, and styles.
• Students will be able to analyze underrepresented experiences and cultural diversity,
including issues of race, gender, class, sexuality, and ethnicity through the study of
ethnic minority or non-Western texts.
• Students will be able to research and write focused, convincing analytical essays in clear,
• Students will be able to read, write, and speak effectively in at least one foreign
English, Foreign Languages, and Speech majors have a plethora of career options:
Social Media Manager
|Teacher or Private tutor
|Speech Language Pathologist SLP- PR
|Speech Language Pathologist Assistant
|Registered Behavior Technician (RBT)
READY TO JOIN?
For more information, please contact us at (601) 979- 2249. We look forward to meeting with you and seeing how our program can help you achieve your goals.
Dr. Ebony Lumumba, Chair