The objectives of the Department of Biology are as follows:
- To develop the students’ understanding of the basic biological principles.
- To help students think logically and communicate clearly.
- To help students become conscious of social problems especially those relevant to the life sciences.
- To prepare students for careers in the life sciences, teaching, and graduate studies.
- To provide a strong pre-professional foundation for medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, optometry, physical therapy, dental hygiene, medical technology, nursing and medical records administration.
- To engage in basic and applied research that benefits the local and scientific community;
- To offer introductory biology courses to non-biology majors in order to fulfill their general education requirements.
The Department of Biology currently offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology:
Effective Fall 2012
- Pre-Medicine, Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Optometry
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Environmental Science
- Marine Science