||1400 J. R. Lynch Street, P.O. Box 17910
Jackson, MS 39217-0510
John A. Peoples Science Building
Office: Room 503
Tel: (601) 979-2072
Fax: (601) 979-3674
|General Chemistry CHEM 141 and CHEM 142
General Chemistry Laboratory CHML 141 and CHML 142
Environmental Chemistry CHEM 410
Advanced Environmental Chemistry ENV 701
Analytical Chemistry CHEM 320
Advanced Analytical Chemistry CHEM 723
Advanced Instrumental Analysis CHEM 721
|Trace and heavy metal chemistry, analytical method development, nanomaterial chemistry and toxicity, environmental chemistry: Research in Dr. Arslan’s group focuses on the chemistry and instrumental analysis of trace elements, heavy metals (specifically arsenic, cadmium, mercury and lead) and nanoparticles from environmental and biological samples, such as water, soil, fish, urine and tissues, with an emphasis to understand the pathways of accumulation, transport and their impact on environment and human life. Solid phase extraction methods using microorganism (yeast and bacteria) and chelating materials are developed for separation and detection of elemental species and nanoparticles. Particular interest is given to understanding the impact of engineered nanomaterials, including quantum dots and metal oxides on biological systems using animal models and aquatic species (fish, algae and artemia). A variety of instrumental techniques including UV-visible, FAAS, GFAAS, ICP-AES, ICP-MS, HPLC-ICP-MS, TEM are used to characterize elemental species and nanoparticles from samples.
- Oliva Primera-Pedrozo, Zikri Arslan and Mehmet Ates. Silica encapsulation of thiol-stabilized lead selenide (PbSe) quantum dots in aqueous solution. Materials Letters 102–103 (2013) 116–119.
- Fahmida Zereen, Vedat Yilmaz and Zikri Arslan. Solid phase extraction of rare earth elements in seawater and estuarine water with 4-(2-thiazolylazo) resorcinol immobilized Chromosorb 106 for determination by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Microchemical Journal 110 (2013) 178-184
- Vedat Yilmaz, Zikri Arslan, LaKeysha Rose. Determination of lead by hydride generation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (HG-ICP-MS): On-line generation of plumbane using potassium hexacyanomanganate(III). Analytica Chimica Acta 761 (2013) 18– 26.
- Mehmet Ates, James Daniels, Zikri Arslan,and Ibrahim O. Farah, Hilsamar Félix Rivera. Comparative evaluation of impact of Zn and ZnO nanoparticles on brine shrimp (Artemia salina) larvae: effects of particle size and solubility on toxicity. Environmental Science: Processes Impacts 15 (2013) 225–233.
- Mehmet Ates, James Daniels, Zikri Arslan,and Ibrahim Farah. Uptake and toxicity of titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles to brine shrimp (Artemia salina). Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 185 (2013) 3339-3348.
- Vedat Yilmaz, LaKeysha Rose, Zikri Arslan, Maria. D. Little. On-line chemical vapor generation of cadmium in the presence of hexacyanochromate(III) for determination by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 27 (2012) 1895-1902.
- Erdal Kenduzler, Mehmet Ates, Zikri Arslan, Melanie McHenry, Paul B. Tchounwou. Determination of inorganic mercury and total mercury in fish otoliths by cold vapor generation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). Talanta 93 (2012) 404– 410.
- Oliva M. Primera-Pedrozo, Zikri Arslan, Bakhtiyor Rasulev, and Jerzy Leszczynski. Room temperature synthesis of PbSe quantum dots in aqueous solution: Stabilization by interaction with ligands. Nanoscale, 4 (2012) 1312-1320.
- Zikri Arslan, Mehmet Ates, Wanaki McDuffy, M. Sabri Agachan, Ibrahim O. Farah, W. William Yu, Anthony J. Bednar. Probing metabolic stability of CdSe nanoparticles: alkaline extraction of free cadmium from liver and kidney samples of rats exposed to CdSe nanoparticles. Journal of Hazardous Materials 192 (2011) 192-199.
- Arslan, Z. and Paulson, A.J. Solid phase extraction for analysis of biogenic carbonates by electrothermal vaporization inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ETV-ICPMS): an investigation of rare earth element signatures in otolith microchemistry. Analytica Chimica Acta 476 (2003) 1-13.