Transfer applicants who initially meet freshman admission requirements at Jackson State University (listed under Freshman Entrance Requirements), but choose to enroll at another regionally accredited institution, may transfer at any time provided the applicant:
2. submits an official transcript from each college or university attended
3. is in good standing at the last college or university attended
4. submits documented proof for measles and rubella immunization compliance, if born after December 31, 1956
Mail your official documents to the following address:
Transfer applicants who have completed an applicable associate degree, a higher level degree, or the equivalent, are exempted from freshman admission requirements. Applicants who do not initially meet the freshman entrance requirements must be in good standing from the last school attended and have a “C” average in the following 30 semester hours of college-level work.
TRANSFER COURSE REQUIREMENTS EFFECTIVE SPRING 2012
Six (6) semester hours of English Composition
Three (3) semester hours of College Algebra or higher math
Six (6) semester hours of Natural Science courses
Nine (9) semester hours of Humanities and Fine Arts
Six (6) Semester hours of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Students who are in good standing from the last college/university attended but are deficient in the above required courses, must also submit a high school transcript indicating that the applicant qualified initially as a freshman enrollee (See Freshman Requirements).
TRANSFER OF CREDITS
Students transferring to Jackson State University should know the following:
1. A maximum of 62.00 semester hours of credit for courses completed at the freshman and sophomore levels will be allowed from a community/junior college toward degree requirements.
2. Jackson State University does not accept transfer courses with D or lower grades.
3. Jackson State University does not accept credit courses that are classified as remedial or developmental.
4. Students ordinarily receive no transfer credit for courses designed specifically for technical and vocational career programs. The dean of the college or school concerned should be consulted on questions pertaining to the transfer of credits.
5. After earning 62.00 semester hours from any accredited institution, a student may not take additional courses at a community/junior college and have them applied toward a degree from Jackson State University.
6. Any course taken for credit at another institution while a student is enrolled at Jackson State University must have prior written permission of the student’s department chair and dean in order for that credit to be accepted toward the fulfillment of degree requirements at Jackson State University.
7. Grades earned in transfer courses will not be shown on the permanent record at Jackson State University and will not be used in calculating Jackson State University grade point averages.
8. Normally, Jackson State University allows full credit on a course taken at another accredited institution if a comparable course is offered at Jackson State University. The final evaluation of transcripts is done by the department responsible for the program of study.
9. All students are required to have the last session of residence or its equivalent at Jackson State University and to complete satisfactorily a minimum of 30.00 semester hours of courses before graduation.
10. A maximum of 93.00 semester hours is transferable from an accredited four year institution
11. A transient (temporary student who wishes to transfer credits to his/her home institution) or a student who wishes to transfer to another institution must request an official transcript of credits to be issued to that institution in accordance with the transcript.
Jackson State University is test optional for the 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 academic years
Priority Deadlines: Traditional Students
Fall semester – August 24th
Spring semester – January 11th
First summer session – May 27th
Second summer session – June 27th
Deadlines: JSUOnline Students
Spring – 1st 8 Weeks – January 7th
Spring – 2nd 8 Weeks – March 4th
Summer – May 15th
Fall – 1st 8 Weeks – August 20th
Fall – 2nd 8 Weeks – October 11th
You have never attended a college or university, or you attended a college or university for the first time in the prior summer term.
You are entering JSU for the first time, but previously attended another postsecondary institution.
You previously attended JSU, but did not attend during the previous fall or spring semester.
You are a non-US Citizen seeking an undergraduate degree. This excludes students graduating (or transferring) from a college or high school in the US.
You are interested in online degree programs and general education courses which allow students to conveniently earn a quality education and work toward achieving long-term career goals.
Learn about admissions for transient, non-degree seeking, dually enrolled, homeschooled, GED, and post-baccalaureate students.
Admissions Policies | Virtual Tour | Academic Calendar | Credit By Examination | Net Price Calculator | Tuition and Fees | Application and Guidelines for In-State Residency | Activate JSU Email, NetID, Canvas, Etc.
Jackson State University | Undergraduate Admissions | P.O. Box 17330 | Jackson, MS 39217 | 1-866-843-3578.