On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is the only work allowed to F-1 students without special permission from United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS). Students may engage in part-time employment, 20 hours or less, on the premises of the campus, while attending school and maintaining their F-1 status. A student may be employed by the school or by a commercial firm that operates on the campus to provide direct services to the student body (i.e. campus bookstore). Restrictions and exceptions: 

  • student may not begin working more than 30 days prior to the start of classes upon initial entry. 
  • a transfer student can work once SEVIS record has been transferred to the school.
  • student can work on campus throughout the period while pursuing a full course of study
  • on-campus work is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session
  • students are permitted to work full-time (up to 40 hours per week) during official school breaks, such as Spring Break or Christmas, only if eligible and intend to register for the following academic term
  • a student may NOT engage in on-campus employment after graduation during the 60-day grace period after completing the course of study unless it’s authorized as OPT
  • students transferring to a new school may not work on the campus after the SEVIS record is released to the new institution. 


Once you have received an offer for on-campus employment it is important that you apply for a social security number and obtain a Social Security Card (SSN). 

GUIDELINES to apply for Social Security Number (SSN)