While each doctoral program has its own admission requirements, the Graduate School specifies the following minimum criteria for doctoral matriculation:
Step 1. Submit the following admission credentials to the Graduate School
- An application for admission to Graduate School – Click here to apply
- All applicants must submit two official copies of transcripts from all 4 year regionally accredited colleges and universities attended. Community College transcripts are not required.
- The Graduate School requires a 3.00 GPA (on a 4.00 Scale) at the undergraduate level or a Masters' degree (See program requirements).
- Admission by a major department. Departmental requirements are listed in the Graduate Catalog or in the application packet
- Out-of-state and International applicants must submit a $25.00 application fee. Click here to pay online.
- International applicants must submit satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- International applicants must also file a Certified Declaration of Financial Support with the University with the Division of International Studies. Click for: Form I-134, Affidavit of Support (pdf).
- The student should consult the major department for additional requirements.
Step 2. Other Requirements
- All applicants must submit immunization records showing proof of immunization compliance for measles and rubella, unless born prior to 1957, to: JSU, Health Services, P.O. Box 17097, Jackson, MS 39217. Telephone: (601) 979-2260. Click here for details
Departmental/Program Requirements for Doctoral Applicants: The following items should be sent directly to the program/department. Please check with the program/department for specific requirements.
- Department/program application
- Three letters of recommendation from former college professors (Click for a Generic Form) Consult program for format
- A written statement of purpose
- All required national examination scores.(GRE, GMAT or MAT). University Test Code= 1341
- Meet the minimum GPA requirement of the desired program
Additional Application Material are required for all Doctoral programs Click here for Program Contact info
General Priority Application Deadlines
Fall – March 1
Summer – March 15
Spring – October 15
Program Specific Deadlines
Fall Admission: January 15
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Educational Administration
Fall Admission: March 1
- Ph.D. in Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Ph.D. in Data Enabled Science & Engineering
- Ph.D. in Engineering
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science
- Ph.D.in Public Administration
- Ph.D. in Social Work
- Ph.D. in Urban & Regional Planning
- Dr.PH. in Public Health
- Ph.D. in Urban Higher Education
Fall Admission: March 15
- Ph.D. in Business Administration
- Ed.D. in Early Childhood Education