While each doctoral program has its own admission requirements, the Graduate School specifies the following minimum criteria for doctoral matriculation:
Step 1. Submit the following admission credentials to the Graduate School
- An application for admission to Graduate School – Click here to apply
- All applicants must submit two official copies of transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities attended.
- The Graduate School requires a 3.00 GPA (on a 4.00 Scale) at the undergraduate level or a Masters' degree (See program requirements).
- Admission by a major department. Departmental requirements are listed in the Graduate Catalog or in the application packet
- Out-of-state and International applicants must submit a $25.00 application fee (money orders only).
- International applicants must submit satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS scores.
International applicants must also file a Certified Declaration of Financial Support with the University with the Division of International Studies.
Click for: Form I-134, Affidavit of Support (pdf).
- The student should consult the major department for additional requirements.
Step 2. Other Requirements
- All applicants must submit immunization records showing proof of immunization compliance for measles and rubella, if born after December 1957, to: JSU, Health Services, P.O. Box 17097, Jackson, MS 39217. Telephone: (601) 979-2260.
Departmental/Program Requirements for Doctoral Applicants: The following items should be sent directly to the program/department.
- Department/program application if required (Click for a Generic Form: GSRecF.pdf)
- Three letters of recommendation from former college professors. (Consult program for format).
- A written statement of purpose
- All required national examination scores.(GRE, GMAT or MAT)
- Meet the minimum GPA requirement of the desired program.
Additional Application Material is required for the following programs (Consult program for details)
- Executive Ph.D. in Urban Higher Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Social Work
- Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Administration
- Dr.P.H. in Public Health
- Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Administration
- Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology
- Doctoral Program in Urban and Regional Planning.
General Application Deadlines
Fall – March 1
Summer – March 15
Spring – October 15
Program Specific Deadlines
Fall Admission: January 15
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Educational Admin.
Fall Admission: March 1
- Ph.D. in Environmental Science
- Ph.D.in Public Administration
- Ph.D. in Social Work
- Ph.D. in Urban & Regional Plan.
- Dr.PH. in Public Health
- Ph.D. in Urban Higher Education
Fall Admission: March 15
- Ph.D. in Business Administration
- Ed.D. in Early Childhood Ed.