Voice, Tone & Content
When communicating the brand message, both tone and content are important in delivering the appropriate message. Tone is the style, word choice or cadence used to deliver the message; the tone should be the same in both written and verbal formats. While the tone may change slightly depending on the group addressed, in general, it should be nurturing and friendly.
Content refers to the message and wording or construction of the message. When creating content or a message, consider the words and phrases listed below that represent the university’s brand. It is not necessary to use these words or phrases, but consider how you could communicate the meaning behind these descriptors.
How Others See JSU
As part of the brand initiative, primary research was done to see how various groups view the university. The responses between the groups surveyed were very similar. Here are some of the words and phrases they used to describe the university:
- Pride (Bleed blue and white)
- Rich heritage
- Sonic Boom of the South
What Makes JSU Unique?
Why should a student choose JSU? The following statement incorporates many of the core themes into one high level statement:
Jackson State University® is a diverse, technologically- advanced 4-year university steeped in history and committed to preparing its students to become global leaders. We provide a caring, nurturing environment in which to challenge our students to improve themselves and serve others.
Core Primary Messages
At a high level, the following are the key messages:
- JSU provides an excellent education in a caring and nurturing environment
- JSU utilizes technology to prepare students to succeed
- JSU embraces diversity, and is accepting of all races and cultures
- JSU challenges minds and changes lives
- JSU and Jackson offer many cultural and entertainment options
- Various forms of financial aid are available to students
- JSU is focused on the future through continuing improvements
- Jackson State University® is designated as a “high research activity” institution by the Carnegie Foundation
- The Sonic Boom of the South band and athletics are an integral part of the college experience
- JSU students give back to the community
- JSU is a military-friendly university
- JSU is a respected HBCU with a rich history
- JSU is committed to being environmentally responsible